Crockpot dilemma...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
I'm sorry to bother all you experts on something so trivial, but I'm in dire need of help and this is always the place that I know I can get answers.

'm doing a crockpot dinner for my two daughters' birthdays today and I'm not a cook to begin with. I found a recipe that was basically very simple and then of course, I couldn't leave well enough alone but added a bit to it.

It's a round steak slowcook recipe and it has potatoes, carrots, onion, celery in it. The problem is that it said to cut the round steak in 6 inch pieces and put it on top of the veggies and then a cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix was mixed together to pour over it. It called for 2 lbs of round steak, and I basically got that okay. I didn't know if I was to leave the round steak that thick, so I sliced into it horizontally (as it was rolled like a roast) and then cut it into smaller pieces. I ended up with it kind of looking like stewing meat chunks.

It didn't call for any salt, pepper or any seasonings, and so I decided to add half of another envelope of dry onion soup mix OVER THE TOP. Of course I mixed salt and pepper in the liquid soup mixture before pouring it over. My questions are: Should that dry onion soup mix be mixed in or will it be soften and edible when it's finished. It calls for 7 to 10 hours on low. After over an hour I decided to take a baster and just put some of the liquid over it, but should the meat be covered too? There's not enough liquid on it to cover it.

Also, should you ever take the lid off and stir the ingredients together? I"ve read different suggestions on this. I"m just concerned that this meat is going to be tough. I also tried ot brown it and the onions in a fry pan before putting it into the slow cooker, but it just kept simmering in juice so I gave up and just added it after awhile. I couldn't even brown the darned meat right! I had added a bit of olive oil, but even with sopping the liquid off of it as it was in the frying pan I couldn't get it to brown and was afraid to be leaving the recipe too long before getting it together.

'm sorry for the rambling and questions. I envy all of you who are so adept at cooking. I"m almost 77 and haven't had anyone to cook for for such a long time. I have health problems that keep me down too much and I only do the occasional meal for my kids. If you have managed to read this book, I thank you, and for any insight into how I can manage to salvage this recipe.

Jovin :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Jovin. I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you. Here's what I would do. Use a slotted spoon to take the big pieces out of the crock pot and put them in a bowl. Stir all the seasonings and liquid together and taste it. If anything, it might be too salty. If it is, add a little water.

For me personally, I don't like the mushy texture that comes from cooking vegetables for a long time. I would put the meat back in the crock pot and refrigerate the vegetables for a few hours. Put them back in, on top of the meat, after 4 hours and baste some of the liquid over the top.

With the size of the pieces you have, it will probably be done in 6-8 hours.

Last edited:
I am a little concerned about the addition of an extra onion soup mix, and more salt, as the first envelope of soup mix will have salt, and the mushroom soup, undiluted it salty as well. I too agree with what GotGarlic stated. If after tasting, the stew is too salty, take a clean frying pan, add 3 tbs. unsalted butter, and three tbs. all purpose flour, and place over medium heat. Stir until the mixture begins to brown. This is called a roux. For richer flavor, keep string until the roux is medium brown in color. Slowly stir in milk until the roux becomes a very thick sauce. at first, when you add the milk, the roux will become very thick. Continue stirring in the milk, a little at a time. The sauce will become silky smooth. Remove from the heat and stir into the crock pot. This will dilute the saltiness. you may need to add more fresh mushrooms. Do this while there is still a few hours of cooking time left so that the mushrooms can cook, and release their flavor into the stew.

One more ting, meat that is overcooked, even when completely covered by liquid, will be tough and dry. I know this from overcooking meat in a slow cooker myself. I suggest you take a small piece out, and take a test taste. If it is tender, and the veggies are completely cooked, turn off the heat, or turn to the lowest setting.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom