Cubes vs liquid broth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
usually when a recipe calls for 2 cups (example) of chicken broth i use 2 cups water with 2 chicken cubes. Am I doing it right? Or are cubes not a substitute for the liquid broth? Is one superior to the other?

I use both depending on what it’s for.
Cubes as above for small amounts like a gravy or sauce.
Liquid for large amounts like for soup.

You're doing it right. I use liquid chicken broth or stock and Better Than Bouillon paste.

Just remember that the cubes have a much higher salt content that liquid. If you are using the cubes, hold back on the salt until after you taste it. You can always add, but you can't take out the salt if it's too much.

I always use Better Than Bouillon products.

I found that using a bit more than directions ask for produces a more pronounced flavor which I like when using a broth.

I also add the product to a pan of sauteed veggies, etc.

edited to add: I never use salt freely when using a broth. I always taste test first.

Ross

Last edited:
Another vote for Better Than Bouillon from me. It's great stuff to have around, but I generally prefer homemade stock or broth. I find that the balance of most stock cubes or pastes or liquids is slightly off, depending on the brand. Maybe the yeast extract or a hydrolyzed vegetable protein that I can sometimes taste. I suspect the better tasting ones just balance the amount of these flavour enhancers well. In any case, I do tend to use BTB for gravies and sauces.

One consideration I use to decide whether to use stock or a cube, powder, or paste is, what do I have in the kitchen. Another consideration is how important is the flavour of the broth to the dish? Are there a lot of other flavours? Are they strong flavours? Is the broth going to be a star or is it just part of the orchestra of flavours?

Back
Top Bottom