Curry sauce too hot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sus

Assistant Cook
I made a curry sauce from a recipe, I often try different ones to try and find the best.

This one nearly blew my head off, I have squeezed in a lime and a bit of vinegar but is still too hot

Is there anything else I can add without spoiling the taste or making it too watery, or should I just bin it ?

I thought there was too much cayenne but went with the recipe thinking that the other ingredients would balance it out

Add some sour creme to help cool it down. Or even yogurt.

Either stir it directly into the sauce or add it as a dollop on top.

I have'nt got any cream or yoghurt in at present. Have my shopping delivered as I tend to avoid supermarkets at the moment, so am always running out of stuff. I have a tin of Carnation extra thick cream, would that be ok? Not sure what it is exactly though

Make the recipe again WITHOUT ANY HOTS and mix the two together.

I like this suggestion. But, I would add a little of the one that's too hot to the other one and add more until it has a pleasant amount of heat.

I like both these suggestions. And if you decide to do it, and if you like the recipe enough to make again, make sure you write notes on the recipe to approximately how much you diluted the heat. Sometimes I say to myself that I'll remember for the next time al the changes I made, and I never do. Not sure if I can blame it on age or stupidity, but I think I've finally learned to keep written notes on recipes I'll make again if I've made any significant changes to them.

I like this suggestion. But, I would add a little of the one that's too hot to the other one and add more until it has a pleasant amount of heat.

That was my first thought! After all, diluted 50/50 might still be too hot for you.

Something to remember about cayenne pepper - there is very little flavor in it, and it is used mostly for heat. So you can reduce, or even omit it, with little flavor loss. However, dishes with flavorful peppers, such as chipotles and other Mexican type peppers, would loose flavor by reducing the chiles.

Was the cayenne the only source of heat in that curry?

Thanks for all you replies I did make some more minus the cayenne and has turned out ok. Yes Pepperhead the cayenne was the only heat. It was one I was trying with spices, onion, coconut and tomatoe, no fresh peppers or chillies at all

Old thread but I would recommend adding some coconut cream. Fresh coconut cream is a good solution, and it doesn't make the sauce watery either.

Well, thank you Lastman.

I've been a little surprised that no one else has chimed in on a milk/cream product to help reduce the fire. That is the entire reason those dishes are served with yogurt/etc. To help quench!

Back
Top Bottom