Dawg fud and treets....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
mi humen went owt to eet, an diddint lok hiz komputer.

wut i wunt to no is ur favoryte fud to kuk 4 yur dawgs.

kc gives me stak scraps (not hiz reel name haha that iz 4 sale).

hee duz kuk gud, but i likk my balz, so wut do i no.

resipees loz of resipees

teDdy (or sieco pudle i pretnd to lik that naame]}

Last edited:
Sorry folks, but I didn't lock up the keyboard.

But, psycho-poodle does raise a valid point of discussion.

Do any of you have any recipes for dog... and other pet food or treats to share.

CD

I've made all of these. The easiest of them that they really seem to like is the baby food ones. They also really like the ones using liver, but that one is a bit more work for the human since you need to clean the livers.

I use various size cutters for the pups I make them for and adjust cooking times appropriately. The lucky pups that get homemade treats range from 8 pounds to about 65 so you can see why different sizes are needed.

These have to be kept in the freezer because they will go stale and mold really fast with no preservatives.

Baby Beef Dog Treats
This recipe is flavored using beef (or other flavored) baby food.

I N G R E D I E N T S
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 egg
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
8-10 tablespoons water
2 small jars strained baby food (beef, chicken, lamb, or liver)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and knead for about 3 minutes. Roll out to 1/2 inch thick. Cut with bone-shaped cookie cutter and place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 min.

Basic Dog Biscuit Treats

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon iodized salt
2 teaspoons bone meal
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
2 large eggs mixed with a 1/4 cup beef broth beef broth

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Grease cookie sheets.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil, peanut butter and egg mixture and stir to combine. Knead the dough for 2 -3 minutes until it holds together well adding additional broth if the dough is too stiff. Allow the dough to rest for 30 minutes.

Roll dough out to about 1/2" thick on a lightly floured surface. Cut into shapes with a knife or your favorite cookie cutter.

Place 1 inch apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until golden brown. Turn off the oven and allow the biscuits to dry in the over for 2 hours or overnight. Once cooled they can be stored in zip lock bags.

Garlic Dog Biscuit Treats

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 c powdered dry milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon brown sugar
6 tablespoon meat drippings
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup ice water

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Lightly oil a cookie sheet.

Combine flour, dry milk, salt, garlic powder and sugar. Cut in meat drippings until mixture resembles corn meal.

Mix in egg. Add enough water so that mixture forms a ball.

Using your fingers, pat out dough onto cookie sheet to half inch
thick. Cut with cookie cutter or knife and remove scraps. Scraps can be formed again and baked.

Bake 25-30 minutes. Remove from tray and cool on rack.

Store in an airtight container

Super Simple Chunky Peanut Dog Treats
Natural peanut butter does not contain hydrogenated oil or sugar so it makes a more healthful treat for your pup.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup chunky natural peanut butter
1 cup non fat milk

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Grease cookie sheets.

In large bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Use another bowl and combine the peanut butter and milk.

Add the milk and peanut butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.

On floured surface, turn out the knead. Roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut out using cookie cutters.

Place on baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Place on racks to cool then store in airtight containers.

Liver Dog Treats
1 pound raw liver (any kind) blended into a paste
1 egg
1cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal (or flour)
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix well and bake at 350 for 1/2 hour for chewy treats, longer for crisper treats.

Flea Hater's Dog Biscuits
Brewers yeast is a natural anti-flea remedy.

1 cup flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup brewer’s yeast (available at health-food stores)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
1 clove garlic, chopped medium
1/2 cup chicken stock plus 3 tablespoons for basting

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Mix flour, wheat germ, brewer’s yeast, and salt together in a medium bowl. In a mixing bowl, combine oil and garlic. Alternately add 1/2 cup chicken stock and flour mixture in 3 parts; mix until well combined. Knead about 2 minutes by hand on floured surface; dough will be sticky.

2. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out about 3/8 inch thick. Cut out bone shapes; place on prepared baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes, rotate baking sheet, and baste with remaining 3 tablespoons chicken stock. Bake 10 minutes longer. Turn off oven, leaving oven door closed. Leave pan in oven for 1 1/2 hours longer

Last edited:
Teddy says thanks, Medtran. He loves peanut butter, and I get to have fun watching him eat it. LOL

My neighbor is a dog show judge (Best of Show Westminster 2014), and brings Teddy all kinds of treats. But, I still enjoy surprising him with a meal or something to chew on that he didn't expect. It makes him wonder when I am going to "pounce." He jumps on me on a Sunday morning when I am sleeping in, knowing there will be a price to pay -- eventually.

CD

I had Beagles, now I feed the neighbor's dogs across my chain link fence.

The best for me is cut up Pig's feet from the Carneceria up the road.

I put 3lbs pig's feet into the slow cooker for 3 hrs. with one beer pitcher of water.and 2 onions. and salt.

Let that cool and take out the trotters, freez those.

I get the pork broth, and the dawgs get the little pork feet that fit very well through the chain link fence.

The broth of pork makes The Best Pasole ever!

Eric, Austin Tx.

One of our pugs long over the rainbow bridge would hear the pop of the baby food jars being opened. She'd sit there and chuff while I was mixing, cutting out, while they were baking, and then cooling, all the while giving me and Craig nasty pug looks because we weren't giving here the goodies. She bounced when she chuffed. Craig and I would nearly be ROTFLAO before they were ready to give to the pugs because of her antics. The rest of the pugs knew what "want some cookies?" meant, but she knew what was coming from the beginning and did not like having to wait one iota.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom