De Buyer Carbon Steel Temperature Distribution 32cm vs 28cm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkqq

Assistant Cook
Hello,

Thought it might be interesting to share a little experiment. I bought a 32cm and 28cm Mineral B Carbon Steel pans and was interested in the temperature distribution over time. I used an infrared thermometer.

Below is a graph of temperature vs time. I measured at the center, "inner ring", and outer edge.

I used setting "8". The highest setting is 9.

I used the same heat hob on my ceramic flat-top. Wish I had a gas cook-top....:(

One questions is that am I heating the pans too high? I'm guessing not? For both pans the I turned off the heat when the temperature was approaching 350C at the center, which is also when the oil started visibly smoking.

Overall I'm reasonably happy. The center was clearly the hottest but the overall distribution and trend with time seems to be quite steady and even.

No surprise that the center of both pans are showing browning but the outer parts are still mostly silver.

Next time I want to do the experiment on a gas cooktop at a friend's place. I do expect that the heat distribution to be much more even.

Hope you find this information and the graph below useful!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 12.37.20.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 12.37.20.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 71
For best results with high carbon steel, i.e. mineral pans, wok, induction burners work best. The expanding/collapsing magnetic field creates eddy currents in the metal. The electrical resistance of the metal converts these currents to heat. Since the magnetic fields don't rely on thermal conduction, or infra-red radiation to transfer heat, the temperature is evenly distributed throughout the pan.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Actually an induction cooktop is exactly what I'm afraid to use, because I think it might be too "harsh" on the pan.

I've seen videos on Youtube (one in particular) that shows a Mauviel pan warping on induction.

I watched the same video. The induction burner was too small for the pan. The magnetic lines of flux must pass through tje entire cooking surface. Due ti the fluid nature of gas, it will heat the pan the most evenly. steel, nd all ferrous metals, though heat conductors, ae poor heat conductors. infra-red flat top, electric coil, and induction burners het only where energy is directly transferred to the metal, creating hot spots/ The metal the expands greater where it's hottest, warping the pan. This is why SS pans have aluminum, or copper encapsulated bottoms, as those metals spread that heat to the whole pan bottom. Even for gas burners, you can purchase heat diffusers to eliminate

t is the property of uneven material expansion that causes cast iron, and glass to shatter, and steels to warp..

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Back
Top Bottom