Decaffeinated vs. Caffeinated Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have an interesting oven-stew recipe I want to try. I have all the ingredients except it calls for 1 cup of decaf. coffee. The recipe does not have any stock or broth in it.

I don't drink coffee, but I have instant coffee and regular coffee in the house. Neither are decaf. Would it make a huge difference if I used regular coffee in the recipe or can coffee grounds be "decaffinated" similar to tea bags, running water over the grounds before brewing? I don't really want to buy decaf. coffee when (a) I don't drink coffee, and (b) I only need 1 cup.

I don't think it'll make a bit of a difference. The recipe writer probably just drinks decaf. Similar to recipes that call for fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth. Their personal preference not a must have.

I agree with Andy. I use decaf in recipes calling for coffee just because caffeine is a migraine trigger for me and I haven't had anyone notice a difference.

I agree, it won't make a difference to the flavour. I would probably use decaf, since stew is usually eaten as an evening meal, and we usually don't drink caffeinated coffee in the evening - causes sleep difficulties for Stirling.

I agree, it won't make a difference to the flavour. I would probably use decaf, since stew is usually eaten as an evening meal, and we usually don't drink caffeinated coffee in the evening - causes sleep difficulties for Stirling.

Not sure one cup of coffee will make a difference in a pot of stew.

That's what I thought. I "might" have some decaf out at the farm. It seems to me I did have some (instant decaf) but I might be dreaming. The plan for the stew is that it supposedly freezes well, so I thought I'd portion it in single-serving containers and grab those for lunch now and again. I'm finding I skip lunch because I don't have something ready--instead I just eat a piece of fruit and some cheese. I'm getting tired of that.

Not sure one cup of coffee will make a difference in a pot of stew.

I agree, I think you could get away with using water.

I have seen quite a few old recipes that use leftover coffee or tea. I think the biggest reason is because the old timers could not stand to waste it.

I'm thinking the coffee adds some flavor component. I have decaf tea...maybe I'll just use black tea...the tannin in the tea may tenderize the meat some while cooking...

I'm thinking the coffee adds some flavor component. I have decaf tea...maybe I'll just use black tea...the tannin in the tea may tenderize the meat some while cooking...
I use coffee in stew and soups and such often and mine is de-caff but plain old caffinated coffee will work just as well. And It does make the stew taste grand.
kades

My best guess is that the coffee is not for the purpose of adding flavor but rather to enhance the other flavors already in the stew. I've heard of adding coffee to chocolate for the purpose but adding it to stew is new to me...then again, why not, it makes sense if it works for chocolate. I remember Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, said her secret ingredient to tasty chocolate cupcakes was to add a little coffee to her batter.

My best guess is that the coffee is not for the purpose of adding flavor but rather to enhance the other flavors already in the stew. I've heard of adding coffee to chocolate for the purpose but adding it to stew is new to me...then again, why not, it makes sense if it works for chocolate. I remember Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, said her secret ingredient to tasty chocolate cupcakes was to add a little coffee to her batter.

That is exactly right. I use coffee (in various forms - espresso, instant, decaf, regular drip, etc) for my signature chocolate cake. You don't taste the coffee as such, but the different types heighten the chocolate taste in subtly different ways. I could see it used in savoury recipes too such as the stew!

Okay--I'll use regular coffee. LP--what about tea to stew? I have added coffee to chocolate-based desserts (expresso, instant, etc.), but never to a savory dish.

Okay--I'll use regular coffee. LP--what about tea to stew? I have added coffee to chocolate-based desserts (expresso, instant, etc.), but never to a savory dish.
I think if you were to add tea to stew it would be best to steep it separate and add it at the desired strength. Tea can get bitter and I don't think that would lend itself to stew. I think some of the more fragrant teas such as jasmine, earl grey and even chai would work well! At school we once infused rice with chai tea and it was really nice!

Use your regular coffee. Don't sweat the small stuff. It is not the caffine that is adding the flavor, but the coffee itself. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom