Defrosting a Turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...But my wife...... :LOL: c'est la vie ;)

The question: How much turkey will I need? 1 big one? 2 smaller ones?
Thanks in advance.

including picture:

Attachments

• thanksgivingcharts-howmuchturkey-v7-1533240274.jpg
    thanksgivingcharts-howmuchturkey-v7-1533240274.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 34
At our Thanksgiving meals, everyone, including those who only showed up and didn't contribute, expected to take home leftovers. We made two 20 lb turkeys, with double mashed potatoes, double dressing, and sides. This was for 4 adults, and 6 kids. And still some squabbled that certain people took home more than their share. I had to have enough turkey leftover to make at least 1 turkey and dressing sandwich, and some rutabaga. Wife had to have leftover mashed spuds, and gravy. She was one who wanted to take home mire than her share, even though i did all of the cooking. She wasn't the only adult who wanted more than their share but contributed nothing but an apatite.

Morale of the story, make enough for reasonable leftovers. You might even make it known ahead of time that those who do not contribute aren't entitled to leftovers. No freeloaders allowed, unless you are in a very sharing mood, and you plan it that way. I loved to share a smoked turkey at our church Thanksgiving. Yes it as at my expense, and was my effort. But we did this to provide a quality holiday for those who had no one to share the day with. And other members contributed sides, and desert.

Know your group, and plan accordingly.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

At our Thanksgiving meals, everyone, including those who only showed up and didn't contribute, expected to take home leftovers. We made two 20 lb turkeys, with double mashed potatoes, double dressing, and sides. This was for 4 adults, and 6 kids. And still some squabbled that certain people took home more than their share. I had to have enough turkey leftover to make at least 1 turkey and dressing sandwich, and some rutabaga. Wife had to have leftover mashed spuds, and gravy. She was one who wanted to take home mire than her share, even though i did all of the cooking. She wasn't the only adult who wanted more than their share but contributed nothing but an apatite.

Morale of the story, make enough for reasonable leftovers. You might even make it known ahead of time that those who do not contribute aren't entitled to leftovers. No freeloaders allowed, unless you are in a very sharing mood, and you plan it that way. I loved to share a smoked turkey at our church Thanksgiving. Yes it as at my expense, and was my effort. But we did this to provide a quality holiday for those who had no one to share the day with. And other members contributed sides, and desert.

Know your group, and plan accordingly.

I learned some years ago to put our leftovers away before anyone could start piling a plate or plastic bowls full to take home.
As I carve the turkey, (I don't do this in front of anyone) I squirrel away enough for at least a couple meals. We don't eat much so this has worked in the past. I have never brought out the whole bird to carve at the table. I carve and pile on a nice platter.
I was concerned that the 20 pounder I bought yesterday was going to not be enough. My wife reminded me that size bird has been enough in the past. Besides we do have the ham.
With everyone bringing sides I don't think there will be an issue. I also make a big tray of stuffing and a small tray.
So its all set and if not enough...well there will not be much I can do.

Roll Bones, I wouldn't worry about whether you have enough... Unless you're feeding 50! I found that no matter how much or what I prepare people don't eat as much as one would think. Especially if there is a lot of variety, which I always like to do. More work of course, but I just gotta do it!

LOL, one year I was expecting 25/28 people. Made everything in advance.
Every dish was made a week ahead, frozen, then defrost for two days in the unheated garage. Rotated for heating (had a large warming drawer) and it all came out perfect.

My mistake was tripling all the recipes as they were for 6 & 8 people - well, :ohmy: had enough that all the families were able to take home leftovers and I had enough for 2/3 meals for ourselves.

Every once in a while I'd find some more serving sized mashers in the freezer! They were delish but still...

I learned some years ago to put our leftovers away before anyone could start piling a plate or plastic bowls full to take home.
As I carve the turkey, (I don't do this in front of anyone) I squirrel away enough for at least a couple meals. ..

I wish I had done that. One year SO gave away all our turkey to my daughters to take home thinking I had only carved half the turkey. We had minimal leftovers that year.

Roll Bones, I wouldn't worry about whether you have enough... Unless you're feeding 50! I found that no matter how much or what I prepare people don't eat as much as one would think. Especially if there is a lot of variety, which I always like to do. More work of course, but I just gotta do it!

LOL, one year I was expecting 25/28 people. Made everything in advance.
Every dish was made a week ahead, frozen, then defrost for two days in the unheated garage. Rotated for heating (had a large warming drawer) and it all came out perfect.

My mistake was tripling all the recipes as they were for 6 & 8 people - well, :ohmy: had enough that all the families were able to take home leftovers and I had enough for 2/3 meals for ourselves.

Every once in a while I'd find some more serving sized mashers in the freezer! They were delish but still...

Thanks. Yes, I am pretty sure I have enough for everyone. I have to remember I am cooking for the a meal and not for doggie bags.
So if there is enough left for take out, great. If not well.........

I wish I had done that. One year SO gave away all our turkey to my daughters to take home thinking I had only carved half the turkey. We had minimal leftovers that year.

LOL Andy. That happened to us once. That is why a save ours first in the kitchen. Then I bring out the platter.
The time we found ourselves with little to zero left overs, I went back to the store and found a 10 pound fresh turkey and roasted it.
Boy did we have leftovers. I ate so many turkey sandwiches.

Oh....I am using Ciabatta bread for my dressing. I hope its not to tough. But last year I used Italian loaf and it sort of disintegrated. I was not very proud of it and did not get one compliment. I usually do get compliments.

Thanks. Yes, I am pretty sure I have enough for everyone. I have to remember I am cooking for the a meal and not for doggie bags.
So if there is enough left for take out, great. If not well.........

LOL Andy. That happened to us once. That is why a save ours first in the kitchen. Then I bring out the platter.
The time we found ourselves with little to zero left overs, I went back to the store and found a 10 pound fresh turkey and roasted it.
Boy did we have leftovers. I ate so many turkey sandwiches.

Oh....I am using Ciabatta bread for my dressing. I hope its not to tough. But last year I used Italian loaf and it sort of disintegrated. I was not very proud of it and did not get one compliment. I usually do get compliments.
I just use Herb Flavor Pepperidge Farm stuffing CUBES. The crumbles turn to mush. Everyone loves it, so why bother with drying bread.

I find it strange that people would 'expect' to take home from a meal. As the cook and hostess it was and is my prerogative to offer that in the first place and I never did if there were not enough for my own family first!

As a guest (family or friend) I would never dream of barging in and asking for leftovers! How rude! and uncouth. The host has invited you to a meal of which he paid for and cooked and you want the leftovers?

If it did happen it would be the last time that person/family was invited. And I am bold enough to tell them outright should they assume and/or ask. I would never say a word unless asked but if they did? ....

I find it strange that people would 'expect' to take home from a meal. As the cook and hostess it was and is my prerogative to offer that in the first place and I never did if there were not enough for my own family first!

As a guest (family or friend) I would never dream of barging in and asking for leftovers! How rude! and uncouth. The host has invited you to a meal of which he paid for and cooked and you want the leftovers?

If it did happen it would be the last time that person/family was invited. And I am bold enough to tell them outright should they assume and/or ask. I would never say a word unless asked but if they did? ....

I hear you, but...

If family is involved and it is the norm for visiting family to get a doggy bag, then you need to plan for that.

OK, and I fully understand IF it is the norm. But still, does not good manners dictate that if, for whatever reason, there just happens to NOT be enough you would be polite enough to defer to the host!

and if you are also comfortable enough to go into the hosts kitchen helping with the divi-ing up, would you not be sure to give equal, or ask who wants this or that if not enough to go around?

I also understand that a lot of people have contributed to the meal, but same rule holds there too. If a guest brought a certain dish I always asked if they would like to take the leftovers or should we divy it up... etc.

Pepperidge Farm croutons/dried, seasoned bread strips is a great start to a good dressing/stuffing. me being me, however, I like to make a homemade bread loaf with all the right seasonings in the dough, bake it, cube it, and dry it into croutons. I make my dressing from that. It's a little extra work, done several days before the holiday. It makes for some fine dressing.:yum:.

This so off topic now. Should be closed down. Or can I be removed from a thread I started?

Above, under thread tools, a drop-down window where you can "unsubscribe" to this thread.

The defrosting part of the thread was pretty well 'discussed' by the Discuss Cooking members and has evolved from the turkey to the dressing. That too will run out of comments and either die a natural death or who knows? May be revived by a new member 5 years down the road with something new to add!

This so off topic now. Should be closed down. Or can I be removed from a thread I started?

Just as words change over time, discussions evolve as a comment from one person sparks a idea from another. At a place I worked (high tech), we had a meeting for all workers, and supervisors every Monday morning. It was called a brainstorming meeting, and was based on this principle. A topic for improvement was suggested by the meeting host, and everyone was encouraged to give an idea for how to improve the work related to that topic, no matter how silly that idea seemed, as it just might spark a fruitful idea.

This happens in the DC threads all of the time. Threads evolve. That's the nature of discussions:).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom