Delicious sandwich spread Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smith_smells_good

Assistant Cook
I will be hosting this Spring and Summer and would like a Delicious spread that would compliment any sandwich. I could use two spreads; one for a cold sandwich and one for a hot!!

Meats: Turkey, Ham, Chicken
Cheese: what the recipe calls for

smith_smells_good

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to make a quick olive spread for my sammies. I pulse a few different kinds of (pitted) olives in the food processor with cooked or raw garlic, lemon juice and lemon zest. You can add some fresh herbs, pine nuts and parm. cheese to make a nice olive pesto for pasta or chicken as well...

another good one is to mix a little low fat cream cheese, thyme, and gorganzola together. I spread that on everything from warm chicken or steak sammies to cold turkey or ham.

I second the olive spread. I use whatever olives I have. I like a mix of green and greek or black. I also use a little raw onion, raw garlic, and pickled cauliflower (only if I have them), with red wine vinegar and a little additional olive oil. It's great on hot or cold sandwiches. I often make "hot cheese" sandwiches with this spread and include other veggies like tomatoes, asparagus, grilled onions... Nobody even misses the meat. Although, it pairs wonderfully with most sandwich meats or left over roasted meats.

Basil Pesto is a good spread on hot sandwiches as well. I haven't tried it on cold ones.

IMO, you would want a different spread for the poultry than you would for the ham. Ham, I would do something mustard-based. Poultry, I would do something mayo-based.

I love mayo with roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, and fresh basil. You could switch out sundried tomatoes for the red peppers.

For ham, how about simple hot mustard. Get powdered Coleman's English Mustard and combine equal amounts of powder and water. Combine well. Goes GREAT with ham. Or hot Japanese mustard. I'm sure there are many more mustard variations. Google is your friend. :)

For ham make mix of Dijon,grainy mustard, evoo and red wine vinegar and brush both side of your bread. it is delish. For chicken I'd go with may mixed with finely chopped basil,Beef would get a cream cheese with green olives and pimento and a little horseradish...Turkey would be marscapone and cranberry sauce.Cheese I'd use the mustard sauce I'd make for the ham.
Good luck with your hosting.
kadesma

...those sound so yummy kades
...your suggestions are ALWAYS yummy :chef:

...actually, now that I scroll back there are many here that sound scrumptious! What about a chicken wrap with hummus as a spread? Hummus comes in all kinds of variations too. There's morroccan hummus, roasted red pepper & kalamata olive hummus, garlic hummus, traditional hummus, etc etc

Red Pepper Jelly is always a nice choice, a bit of sweet and a bit of heat. I've also bought a carmelized onion spread (sometimes called onion jam). That always goes over well.

I just recently made an onion jam while visiting my brother in Georgia... He came home with a 10 pound bag of vidalia onions, and I had bought pork chops to grill for dinner so I decided to make a jam... I used the onions some orange marmalade, rosemary, thyme, balsamic vinegar, and cooked them down for about 3 hours... Outstanding with the pork but I also think this would be fabulous on chicken... Perhaps chicken, sharp cheddar with some onion jam on a crusty baquette... Yum I think i'll have to make some for my fridge... :):):)

I just recently made an onion jam while visiting my brother in Georgia... He came home with a 10 pound bag of vidalia onions, and I had bought pork chops to grill for dinner so I decided to make a jam... I used the onions some orange marmalade, rosemary, thyme, balsamic vinegar, and cooked them down for about 3 hours... Outstanding with the pork but I also think this would be fabulous on chicken... Perhaps chicken, sharp cheddar with some onion jam on a crusty baquette... Yum I think i'll have to make some for my fridge... :):):)
Now I have to try this. Got a recipe to share?
kades

Now I have to try this. Got a recipe to share?
kades

Didn't use a recipe Kades but i'll tell you how I did it... I used 5 large vidalia onions sliced thin thrown in a stockpot with some olive oil until they softened just a bit... Then I threw in about 3 Tbsps of orange marmalade (cause orange and pork, well yum right) about 1 T rosemary, 1 T thyme, healthy splash of balsamic vinegar (maybe 2 T) S&P then I put on a low flame, covererd and stirred every 30-40 minutes until they were jammylike (is that a word?) and a burnt orange color...

I guess I should write this down because in a few more weeks the mind will not remember this... I love getting older :ROFLMAO:...

Have fun with this my love, and taste as it gets closer to the end to check for sweetness... Let me know how it turned out... XOXO

Didn't use a recipe Kades but i'll tell you how I did it... I used 5 large vidalia onions sliced thin thrown in a stockpot with some olive oil until they softened just a bit... Then I threw in about 3 Tbsps of orange marmalade (cause orange and pork, well yum right) about 1 T rosemary, 1 T thyme, healthy splash of balsamic vinegar (maybe 2 T) S&P then I put on a low flame, covererd and stirred every 30-40 minutes until they were jammylike (is that a word?) and a burnt orange color...

I guess I should write this down because in a few more weeks the mind will not remember this... I love getting older :ROFLMAO:...

Have fun with this my love, and taste as it gets closer to the end to check for sweetness... Let me know how it turned out... XOXO
Thank you Mimi,
I have it all here and plan to make some tomorrow.You're not old You're Our Mimi:)
kades

Back
Top Bottom