Dessert party, and you can help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
The Mrs. and me are having a neighborhood Christmas gathering in a couple of weeks and your help is appreciated. We would like your input on what you might like to have if your were invited to a "dessert party". We have a few very good recipes for coconut cream pie, lemon and apple pie. We'll have a spice cake and a super chocolate fudge sheet cake. If you would, please give an idea, a recipe, or point me to one. Any recommendation is truly appreciated. Thanks, Phil

I think this would be a good addition:

Peppermint Bark

1 pound vanilla-flavor candy coating or white chocolate, cut up, or one bag white baking chips
3/4 cup crushed peppermints or mint-flavored candy canes

Directions:
Line a baking sheet with foil; set aside. Heat candy coating in a heavy medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
Stir in 1/2 cup of the crushed candy canes. Pour mixture to about 3/8-inch thickness onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with the remaining crushed candies.
Let candy stand at room temperature for several hours until firm or place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Lift firm candy from the baking sheet and break into 1-oz. pieces. Store tightly covered up to 2 weeks. Makes 1 pound.
Note: For a different flavor, try using fruit-flavored candy canes or any other flavored crushed hard candy.

Another suggestion that might be quite popular is a chocolate fondue. Provide a tray with strawberries, fresh pineapple strips, bananas, vanilla wafers, marshmallows, and anything else that would taste good dipped in chocolate. I don't have a recipe, but I'm sure you could google one.

This is one that is always a hit when I make it

~IT~ (Chocolate Refrigerator Desert)​

Be sure to make this the day before you want to serve it.

Ingredients
1 cup Butter
4 cup Powdered sugar sifted
4 tablespoons Cocoa
1/2 teaspoon Salt (optional)
4 ea Egg yolk unbeaten
2 teaspoon Vanilla
2 cup Pecans chopped
4ea Egg whites
3 cups Vanilla wafer or graham cracker crumbs

Cream butter. Add sugar, cocoa, salt and egg yolks; beat until creamy. Add vanilla and nuts. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Line 9x13 inch pan with ¾ of the vanilla wafer/ graham cracker crumbs; pour in batter. Add remainder of crumbs on top. Garnish with maraschino cherries.

Let set overnight in refrigerator; serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Yield 12 servings.

I use the graham crackers. This is a fairly stiff batter so I usually spread it rather than pour it.​

Mmmmm, sounds like fun :) How about some rum balls or truffles and a cheesecake? I made a marbled pumpkin cheesecake yesterday and it was great.

Paula Deen has a wonderful recipe for mini lemon blossom cupcakes ( recipe on food network) that our GREAT! People love them.

Phil, might I suggest that petit fours, small muffins and mini cupcakes and cookies and candies and nuts are easier to serve on big beautiful trays and refill. Also, they will be easier for your guests to eat unless you have enough room for everyone to sit down at your table. My mom had a New Year party like the one I described--more like an open house and she served wine, coffee and tea.

An online friend once had a dessert party and she made 100 different chocolate desserts for New Years Eve. It sounded heavenly to me.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me.
Enjoy!
Hm, I'll have to post my familie's nut horn recipe. It takes a lot of work but my mom and I made tons for parties.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom