Did I buy fake olive oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll go season it as di reston advises. It's just been basically resurfaced, so I have to treat it like a brand new pan now.

Thanks all!

If the wet sanding left swirl marks, try some Meguair's #7 car polish on it before you season it. That should get most, if not all of the swirl marks out.

CD

So my wife used that Botticelli olive oil to grease a pan for oven use, and wound up with the same problem there. Then she pan-seared something else, using canola oil instead of olive oil, and had no problems. So I'm guessing the Botticelli is just not suitable for the use we're trying to put it to.

All this does make me think the mass market brands we've been using contain something besides EVOO.

EVOO is not recommended for saute/frying/deep fry anyway.
it's expensive, the compounds that make it expensive go away very quickly when heated.

the smoke point of canola oil is higher than EVOO - there's no surprise that it burned on.

try peanut oil or safflower oil - they withstand significantly higher temps.

I use canola, peanut, coconut, avocado or grape seed oils for high heat cooking/sautéing. EVOO, kalamata oil and flaxseed oil for finishing/dressings. I also use sesame oil and hot chili sesame oils for marinade, fillings, dressings and added to other oils to quick stir fry. And to add a splash of flavor to finished foods like rice and soups.

Last edited:
So my wife used that Botticelli olive oil to grease a pan for oven use, and wound up with the same problem there. Then she pan-seared something else, using canola oil instead of olive oil, and had no problems. So I'm guessing the Botticelli is just not suitable for the use we're trying to put it to.

All this does make me think the mass market brands we've been using contain something besides EVOO.

EVOO is not recommended as a frying oil. Filtered olive oil is okay, not much different from any other, but EVOO still has a lot of solids that haven't been filtered out, and those can burn. I use both types of olive oil, and pale amber colored oils with no sediments seem just fine for general cooking.

What I have right now is a jug of Walmart's Great Value brand. Ingredient on the label just says olive oil, product of Italy, Spain, Greece, and Tunisia. It's yellowish in color and doesn't have a heavy olive flavor. I also have several bottles of various flavor infused EVOO's from a specialty shop. The latter are far more expensive, and used primarily as finishing oils by adding late them in the cooking process to give flavor without damaging the oils by overheating them.

Olive oil has a lower smoke point than the other oils you mentioned. As a result, when OO is heated in the pan, it vaporizes and settles on the inside edges of the pan and burns on creating a brownish coating.

Oils like canola, corn, peanut, safflower, etc. have higher smoke points so the vaporization does not occur as easily, resulting in cleaner pans.

For that reason, I don't use OO for higher heat applications. Besides, if you're cooking a piece of chicken or steak, etc, you won't really taste the difference in the oil used.

So I'd say your oil isn't fake. It's doing what OO is supposed to do.

Last edited:
EVOO is not recommended as a frying oil. Filtered olive oil is okay, not much different from any other, but EVOO still has a lot of solids that haven't been filtered out, and those can burn. I use both types of olive oil, and pale amber colored oils with no sediments seem just fine for general cooking.

To call it a "frying oil" in this case is kind of overstating things. All she was doing was a quick pan-sear of a pork loin before broiling it, with just a little oil to keep it from sticking to the pan. She tried canola oil the most recent time because that was what we had handy.

I'll get some peanut oil for this.

In nearly 60 years of cooking I've never had any kind of good luck searing anything in a stainless steel frying pan. There's always a brown/burnt residue left. I have better luck with cast iron. I don't think the problem is the olive oil in your situation. I should note here that I do cook on a Wolf stove so it give me a great sear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom