Difference Between Temperature Settings - Hercules Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VegLover

Assistant Cook
This may seem a very basic question, but I've just taken on a new job as a sweets chef at a local bakery. One of the things that is confusing me is the difference between settings on the Hercules ovens they use.

For example, I can set it to the desired temperature, and can separately select whether I want it low, medium or high, or a variation in between.

To me it doesn't make sense - a temperature has always been a temperature in my past cooking experience.

In the bakery, I'm working on my own on the sweets section and no one else there knows the difference (they only know that they've been told to use, say, 325 at low-medium, but not why).

Can someone help me with this?

Thanks a lot :)

Thanks taxlady. I couldn't find anything on Google either. Also, the bakery almost everything in the bottom shelf of the oven, which is throwing me a bit ;-)

Maybe the high/med/low is for a fan or air circulation speed?

Hi - yes it indeed turns out to be a convection oven ;) I've never had to use one before, so I've learned something new this week! Still having issues finding the ''right'' setting, but low-medium seems the way to go when in doubt

BTW it's a Vulcan oven, not a Hercules - I got my mythical figures mixed up! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom