Dinner Dilemma!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
I have a hankering for beef strips with onions and peppers and would like to have some sort of bourbon sauce. The only problem, of course, is that I don't have any bourbon or anything that would even come close. Any idears on how I can fake it? I'd even love other sauce ideas for this dish. Thanks in advance!!! :D

Damp, I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, and it doesn't include peppers, but I've had this recipe sitting around and have always meant to try it. It sounds really good!

4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 pound onions, sliced
2 pounds lean beef, shoulder or round, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cups dark beer
1 cup beef stock
Salt and pepper
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons mixed dried herbs, crumbled (thyme, rosemary, sage)

To a casserole pan add butter. When butter is hot stir in onions and saute until caramelized. Pour browned onions into a sieve over a bowl and let drain. Pour the fat from the onions back into the casserole and when the fat is hot add beef, and remove as slices become brown. Drain in the sieve with the onions.
In the same casserole, stir in the brown sugar and add the flour. When a roux has formed, stir in mustard and add beer slowly to deglaze the pan. Add beef stock and season with salt and pepper. Pour liquid into a bowl.

Layer the casserole with the meat and onions, making 3 layers of meat, sandwiching 2 layers of onions. Add a bay leaf and a teaspoon of mixed herbs on each layer of onions. Pour beef sauce back into the casserole. Add more beer to cover the meat if necessary. Bring casserole to a boil, cover and bake in a 300 degree oven for 3 hours. Skim off fat, season with salt and pepper and serve.

While I was reading your post DC I was thinking - brown sugar, Dijon mustard, beef broth and PA definitely has a good recipe!!!! Thanks PA - it sounds great!

PA, I wasn't able to use the recipe you provided but I did end up making a glaze using pretty much what Elf mentioned. Excellent!!! :D I tossed in about a tablespoon of dark molassess (sp?) and a dash of soy sauce just for giggles and it seemed to turn out pretty good, if I do say so my self! *ahem* wink, wink! 8) Thanks for the ideas, ladies! Norge, stop by anytime! If the house isn't on fire it means my cooking endeavour isn't a failure! :LOL: :roll:

DampCharcoal said:
PA, I wasn't able to use the recipe you provided but I did end up making a glaze using pretty much what Elf mentioned. Excellent!!! :D I tossed in about a tablespoon of dark molassess (sp?) and a dash of soy sauce just for giggles and it seemed to turn out pretty good, if I do say so my self! *ahem* wink, wink! 8) Thanks for the ideas, ladies! Norge, stop by anytime! If the house isn't on fire it means my cooking endeavour isn't a failure! :LOL: :roll:

thanks DC, glad we could be of service. You shouls pat yourself on the back. Sounds like you earned your chef apron.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom