Do you keep lemons in refrigerator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I was just curious. Who keeps lemons in the refrigerator and who keeps them on the counter. I used to keep them on the counter, but they certainly don't last long. I than changed over to the refrigerator and I'm happy with that. If anything, I can always nuke it a little if I want to get some juice out. I notice when I go to people's houses - I sometimes see there lemons in a basket on the counter. The only thing I keep on the counter is fruit like bananas, apples, and pears. Plus I don't use lemons every day.

Oh really? I didn't know I was supposed to! Yeah, they DON'T last long in a basket on the counter.

Okay, cool - I can do that! Thanks!

Lee

:) They last a really long time in fridge.If you want a lemon tree you can get the miniature trees in the winter you bring them into house.

In the fridge, but I try to remember to take it out about an hour b4 using because it's so much easier to extract the juice when room temp.

My lemons always stay in the fridge until I use them. They don't seem to last long if I keep them out.

SurvivorGirl said:
you have a lemon tree? lucky!
i really want to grow one but they need warmer weather.

Not necessarily. I took some seeds from a lemon bought from the store and planted them indoors. I now have a small lemon tree, though I doubt it willl ever bear fruit, it's still a very nice tree :) To answer your question, I keep mine on the counter when the weather is cool, but refrigerate them once it gets warm.

I have found that lemons last a lot longer in thr fridge. Before use, I roll the on the counter with pressure and nuke them for 15 seconds. The juice runs out very easily.

Andy M. said:
I roll the on the counter with pressure and nuke them for 15 seconds. The juice runs out very easily.
this was a perdicament that i ran into today... do i role them on the counter then nuke them or vise versa or only role them and only nuke them but never intertwine the two:ermm:;)

SurvivorGirl said:
you have a lemon tree? lucky!
i really want to grow one but they need warmer weather.

Actually, local farmers have the lemon trees. Whole orchards of them, in fact. When I need lemons, I just stop at one of the many roadside stands and select as many as I need at the time. Much cheaper than the supermarkets and a lot fresher, too.

That's why I keep all my recipes on my work computer as well as my home computer. I can make a shopping list at work and fill in on the way home.

You enjoy one of the benefits of living in Southern California. Tree fresh lemons and just rumors in Massachusetts.

I'm lucky enough to have a Meyer's lemon tree. I do keep them in the fridge after I harvest them - keep your fruit separate from your other vegies in the bin.

You're lucky Barb,
I've never seen a Meyer lemon here in Md.
Aren't they supposed to be a bit sweeter than regular lemons?
I keep my lemons in the fridge also.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom