Do you measure ingredients?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

97guns

Senior Cook
when i cook i never measure but when i bake something i most always do except when i make muffins, biscuits and pancakes - those dont need it.

Sometimes.

Depends on how familiar I am with the recipe I'm making. If I'm creating a recipe for the first time, I measure and write it down so I can make corrections for the next time.

Most times I do. When doing general cooking it helps me maintain some control over how much I am cooking. I am horrible at estimating how much a cup is for instance. I also consider 4 pork chops to be measuring. Setting a timer is measuring.

When baking bread I measure (in grams) and am willing to fudge a bit one way or the other depending how I think it is coming together.

when i cook i never measure but when i bake something i most always do except when i make muffins, biscuits and pancakes - those dont need it.

We're pretty much alike. Almost never when just cooking, almost always while baking. The exceptions are when I'm using a new, untried recipe. I try to keep to it as much as possible, then relax a little after that.

I also measure if I make something for the first time. If its bad, I want to know if it was the recipe, or did I screw up?
My best friend and I made wings once that were the best ever. BUT..we don't know what we did. There were about 10 seasonings out, but his wife started putting them away while we were cooking, so we're not sure what we even used.
Baking I measure exactly. Chili, meatloaf, fried chicken....never.

baking = yes
every day cooking = no
new recipe =yes

Pretty much this. For baking bread, though, for example, the amount of flour I'll use may differ from day to day depending on environmental factors.

For a new recipe, I'll follow it, but I still eyeball most things. Old hat dishes are just whatever I feel like that day.

If it's going to be canned, I follow a TNT recipe to the T.

Back
Top Bottom