Do you or don't you wear an apron when cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So I was going through my shirts today, as I was going out ( just to shop) and my wife yelled at me to make sure I wore a shirt that did not have stains on it.

As I rummaged through my casual shirts, I realized that 75% of them have oil splatter staines on them. Most not too bad, but a few have some decent oi marks.

I have several aprons that Ive acquired over the years, but mostly as gifts. Nothing that I went out and purchased myself.

My dad always wore an apron when cooking ( as I think my mom probably yelled at him too).

So, out of curiosity, for which of you is it common practice to toss an apron on when cooking ?

( I think I have to get in the habit of using one)

Larry

It depends on what I'm doing. Saturday, I made cherry chutney and I definitely protected my clothes from cherry juice while pitting them [emoji38]

When I'm making something on the stovetop, I often do wear an apron.

Like Larry, I would say that MORE than 80% of my clothes have oil or some sort of stain on them.
I once dutifully put on an apron to cook and a huge blob of oil shot up and straight down the inside of the apron bib... another shirt gone!
Same happened another time with spaghetti sauce, what is the use of an apron if the bib folds open and food shoots down?

I'm trying very hard to start wearing one, some days I'm successful, others not so. Trouble is I find the strap around my neck doesn't help. With my poor posture it creates weight which is not noticeable until you suddenly are in pain.

Can't find a cross back pattern that I like and to buy the style which I really like is about 70$ :ohmy:

My daughters are forever at me to 'CHANGE MY CLOTHES' as soon as I get home from where ever!

So that grey haired old biddy you see slouching thru the mall in a stained shirt is probably a fellow DC'er. ;)

I never knew SO's vocabulary could be so colorful until she spent way too much time getting food stains or sauce out of my clothing. She's really good at it and that's a good thing as I wouldn't have anything to wear if she couldn't get those stains out. Sometimes it required two or three treatments and washes to get the job done.

As a result, I keep an apron hanging conveniently nearby and I wear it when I am cooking food that splatters. Pan frying, ANY tomato sauce, etc. I think I have three aprons and all were gifts. Either SO bought them for me or my kids did at her suggestion.

Just this past Sunday, as I was preparing to pan sear some stuffed pork chops, she reminded me I have aprons.

I always put on an apron...right after I spill something on my clothes! I have also noticed that I never splash spaghetti sauce on any shirt that ISN"T white!

I have one apron that I made donkey's years ago. I think I know where it is. I usually wear black t-shirts, so I haven't noticed much in the way of splashes from cooking.

JI can certainly relate to all that, Larry!

I have been given aprons, as gifts, but people gave up on me - I really don't like the feel of an apron on me, any more than I like wearing a tie, or anything around my neck. I always blamed this on my Mom, or others, for trying to strangle me as a child, probably with good reason!

I just wear an undershirt, as a rule - any shirt I don't want to mess up I'll take it off, as soon as I enter the house (usually only wear these when I go somewhere), and toss it on the back of a chair! And this time of year, besides stains, there's the dirt, from the garden. And today, I may be getting into some wood stain - when doing this, I get things that it won't matter with. Friends know why I'm wearing things like that!

Something I forgot to mention that I don't like about aprons - they make me hotter!

Last edited:
any shirt I don't want to mess up I'll take it off, as soon as I enter the house (usually only wear these when I go somewhere), and toss it on the back of a chair! And this time of year, besides stains, there's the dirt, from the garden. And today, I may be getting into some wood stain - when doing this, I get things that it won't matter with. Friends know why I'm wearing things like that!

Something I forgot to mention that I don't like about aprons - they make me hotter!

Im the same. On my late nights, my wife usually heats up dinner ( something I had already prepared earlier in the week), but I always make some last minute tweeks when I get home. So, when I get home, off comes the shirt and tie and usually make my tweeks shirtless, and then I go upstairs and get into my comfortable ( pertained) clothes.

Same with the gardening. You'd think my clothes belonged to a 6 year old who just came in from playing in the dirt.

When my good dress shoes get all scuffed up, my wife tries to throw them out, but I insist that ill use them in the garden. I love the look some of the. neighbors give me when im in dress cloths out on the garden ( they dont get unclose to see they are stained or scuffed up,

Actually, I don't wear one either Linda.

I'm always hot when I'm cooking, and adding another layer of material to my house clothes is more than I can take.
Oxi Clean is a wonderful thing for house clothes.

Last edited:
Depending on what I am cooking or what I am wearing. Most of the time I'm pretty careful and don't mess up my duds. However, when frying, etc. I "arm up."

Another time I wear an apron is when I'm working with bread dough. Somehow it always seems like when I make bread, etc. I'm wearing black or navy clothing. Need I say more. Apron...yep, yep, yeppers.

Actually the same holds for when I'm sewing with white thread.

Don't seem to have too much of a problem frying. Perhaps I'm a bit more fastidious when I do this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom