Do you use the defrosting microwave function a lot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
do you use the defrosting microwave function a lot?
for what foods?
will it also work for a frozen pizza dough?

Very seldom. It doesn't work well because it doesn't defrost evenly and there is a good chance you will cook the edges. I use the "put it in a bucket of water for 30 minutes" method" or the "set it out on the counter method", or if I plan ahead, the "put it in the refrigerator overnight" method.

you are right to a certain extent

when defrosting a ready pizza it is much much better with the defrosting function

and i know that the oven is better if used on about 160 degrees celsius.

when i reheat cooked food it is better to start with the defrosting option and maybe afterwards with regular microwaving....

I use my microwave to defrost shrimp all the time. But not on the defrost setting. I use the "10 second muffin" reheat button, repeating until defrosted enough to shell the shrimp.

I use it, but not very often. It's pretty good for liquids, less so for raw meat. Like SLoB, I tend to use the put-it-in-cold-water method. For food that is thin and will defrost reasonably fast, I usually just put it on a piece of metal. That' is often the space between the burners on my stove. I don't use the stove or oven for other things while something is defrosting.

^this^

However, I do use the "defrost" function to warm baked goods. At only 30% of power, it's low enough to warm the interior and not make the exterior hard or rubbery. A room temperature scone "defrosted" for about 30 seconds, then heated in the toaster oven for about 2 or 2 1/2 minutes in the "toast" function, makes a formerly frozen scone taste like it was just baked. :yum:

Actually, like GG, I use it for liquids too, sauces, broths, etc.

Each brand of microwave will have different functions. Some, with the same functions labeled will be set different ways.

For example, my 'Beverage' function runs for 40 seconds to heat a 1/2 cup (I'm assuming it means a regular coffee/tea cup - not a mug)

My 'Instant' button runs for 1 minute at full power.
My son's 'Instant' button runs for 30 seconds at full power.

I use it a lot. Mostly for semi defrosting of meat when I did not thaw it earlier.
I use the defrost setting and enter 1/2 the pounds of weight. My microwave asks for "how many pounds".
Then I stay with it until its partially defrosted. Then I put the food (usually meat) on my aluminum griddle.
I can thaw out 2"-3" steaks this way in an hour. I thawed out 2 turkey thighs yesterday in about 2 hours.
I never try to thaw any meat completely in the microwave. I use it to assist in thawing. To get a head start.
The aluminum griddle I use will thaw out fish or hamburgers in an hour without microwave help. So yes I use mine for thawing in concert with the aluminum griddle.

I use it for other foods on high, 1250 watts. Stocks and things like that.

I too only use it when I forgot to thaw out earlier.
IMHO, the 'inverter' type ovens do a much better job at thawing. Their power level is much more evenly applied than a normal microwave oven's.

I would only use it for liquids such as soups, stews, pasta or pizza sauces, etc. It does not do well with dense items such as meats.

Some times, for frozen vegetables, soups. Definitely not for frozen pizza. Goes straight in the oven at 500 deg F. It's like 250 deg. C, or so. Per reheating instructions on the box

I too only use it when I forgot to thaw out earlier.
IMHO, the 'inverter' type ovens do a much better job at thawing. Their power level is much more evenly applied than a normal microwave oven's.

Yes! I hadn't actually realized that was what makes a difference. I had seen that the defrost button on my microwave says, "Inverter defrost", but I hadn't realized that it was relevant and not just a marketing gimmick. I looked for and found an explanation of inverter technology. What is Microwave Oven Inverter Technology? – Learn Here

I wonder how many of us currently have the Panasonics with inverters, but are still remembering the problems we had with previous microwave ovens, so we haven't even tried defrosting denser stuff recently. I know I will start cautiously experimenting with defrosting stuff in the MW, other than liquids and stews.

Our new microwave has been awesome at defrosting. I have found it to be slower to cook and defrost but it is much more even than any microwave we have owned.

We have a Kitchenaid convection microwave.

We have a Kenmore micro/convection oven. It's over 30 years old. I didn't know we even had defrost buttons on it, until just now. Def 1, Def 2, and Def 3. I have no idea what power they are set to, or anything about them.

I defrost by putting in the minutes, then the power at 30-50%.
I use it almost every day. lol That's pretty funny. Raising three kids and no one even asked, what those buttons were for.

When we ate hamburger, we'd freeze it flat in zip lock bags. Then to defrost, hot water in the sink, put that in the sink, and in just minutes it was thawed.

Back
Top Bottom