Do you use your books as much anymore, or the Internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did you check for the Kindle versions? :LOL:

It was a tough decision, I opted for DTB on my cookbooks...actually, I'm horrible, I stopped at Hastings and bought a DTB...a new Dean Koontz. I guess I'm still not ready to give up my pag-ed friends.;):rolleyes:

I have slowed down with using the internet for recipes as much and am trying to get back into using cookbooks and buying more cookbooks.
The only recipes I have really been gathering off the interwebs is stuff from cooking shows that I want to try.
Past that, I use my cookbooks all the time to get an idea for stuff to make, I try not to use recipes to often anymore these days though.

me either your highness. i like the feel of a book in my hand, going to go and snuggle in bed and read in about five minutes

Yes, I carry my Kindle around to appointments and to work. Here at home, i still like my books.:)

I still like using cookbooks; you can keep them in the kitchen while you cook (I don't have a laptop :)sad:). Also the stains and blemishes from ballistic ingredients add character that a webpage can't have!

I still like using cookbooks; you can keep them in the kitchen while you cook (I don't have a laptop :)sad:). Also the stains and blemishes from ballistic ingredients add character that a webpage can't have!

i love that part of my cookbooks. like the ones I used when I first started learning are just gross, my partner is like "should try to clean some of the crap off these" I just laugh and tell her that we can't. I want people to know what recipes I used the most.

I travel around with new cookbooks and food science books in my bag all the time, I love busting out a cookbook and reading it like a novel, seeing the recipes, what's in it, what's missing, how the recipes are built. People ask all the time "are you READING a cookbook?"
"yeah...it's a book isn't it?"

I'm in the rarely use anymore category. I have a whole shelf and need to weed out the ones I've never used. Some are precious since they came from grandparents or churches I've belonged to. Those kind of regional cookbooks are wonderful. Mostly I get my new recipes from here!! It's like getting a recipe from an old friend. You know you can trust it to be good and there are so many different kinds of cooks here from so many different places! I'll occasionally go to allrecipes or some such but those are so confusing with many similar recipes. Here, you not only get the recipe but you can be confident in the source AND get advice on modifications or substitutions.

I use my cook books constantly.... I am incredibly dedicating to getting through all of my cookbooks at some point, and I know that some of the recipes (especially in some of my more specialized cookbooks) I would just not be able to get anywhere else! I have found an online recipe website though which I go to to store my recipes for easy recall so I dont have to look them up in the book each time I use them. Still, most of them are from my books, or newspaper and magazine clippings!

All of you cookbook users are the best! I read and use my cookbooks all of the time-always have, always will.

I love my cookbooks and read them frequently. In fact just finished "The Soup Bible" a couple of nights ago. I love getting cookbooks as gifts. I use them and the internet as inspiration; rarely use a recipe "strait up" the way it was written, but still couldn't do without my cookbooks! :)

Pretty much strictly a web searcher. About the only book I use any more is the Ball Blue Book, just to make sure I don't kill anyone with my canned goods.

I recently participated on another board in a similar discussion about books in general. Some people keep every book that comes into their hands--not me. I have limited shelf space--when I find piles of books on the floor and bedside table and on the windowsills, I know it is time to set them free into the world so someone else can read them.

I have a Sony eReader, that is stuffed with free classics from the web, I take out four or five books from the library every week, I buy books from the thrift store and share books with my family, so I read plenty--but the book itself is not sacred. It is just a way to get ideas from the author's head into mine. So, I read them, I return them to the library, the thrift store or their owners. If I want to read them again, I find them again.

I guess I keep my library out in the world. Saves dusting.

Back when I was a serious garage/estate sale shopper, when I had more space, I always looked for those spiral-bound regional/church/sorority fund-raising recipe books that someone already mentioned. They accumulated pretty fast and I had a lot of them - they were fun and interesting reading, partly because of the various names given to the same set of ingredients. But I seldom used recipes from them and have since donated most of them. I still have my Joy of Cooking from the 60's and refer to it for methods occasionally and can't imagine not having it. Most of the other regulation paperback cookbooks (like "Fresh Fish" and that sort of thing) haven't been touched in a long time. Guess I should donate them, too, since I tend to use the easier, faster 'Net for day to day searches. I've copied & pasted (and used) a bunch of good-sounding DC recipes onto Word docs.

Technically Not Cookbooks department:

All those old newspaper clippings that I go through mostly around Christmas time - I really should toss them - some of them are from the 80's and I haven't tried them yet. I guess part of that is sentimental since they're from lots of different places - St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake, for example.

Also, I like to try dishes from the light fiction mysteries that have recipes incorporated in them - those make a round trip to/from the library, but they're "my cookbooks" for 3 weeks. ;)

Liz

I have been into French Cooking for the last few years and have experimented and attempted many, fairly involved, recipes. I have been fortunate enough to discover a few very good books, which discuss, techniques. It is handy to have the book right there on the counter while attempting something you aren`t very familiar with or new.
As much as I cook, and love cooking, every so often I don`t know what to have for dinner. I guess it is a good problem to have because we are very lucky to have such an abundance of good quality food in our country. I am very thankful for that. Usually, if I grab any book off of the shelf and leaf through it, I will come up with something in no time.

Last edited:
Every week, when putting the grocery list together! Actual cookbooks, one we put together ourselves (mostly recipes from old BA issues) and current BA mags. If I can't find what I have in mind with those sources, the I'll go one line. Also if we see a recipe we would like to try on some show, then we hit the net.

Craig

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom