"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 03:10 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Does sugarless tea really help digestion?

When I am full I drink sugarless tea, I feel like I'll be hungry again much faster
but if I don't drink anything it really takes a bit longer before I feel hungry again. Does sugarless tea really help digestion or is it just an illusion?

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 08:08 AM   #2
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Technically/scientifically I have no idea. Off the top of my head I would say that by drinking a hot liquid of water or tea would help with digestion. Makes sense that the liquid added to your stomach would help the breakdown.

Sugar after a meal, helps to stop the hungar, at least for me it does. If I don't have dessert, usually sweet, I often still feel hungry and might keep on eating.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:31 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
When I am full I drink sugarless tea, I feel like I'll be hungry again much faster
but if I don't drink anything it really takes a bit longer before I feel hungry again. Does sugarless tea really help digestion or is it just an illusion?
ask a doctor.
karadekoolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I really couldn't tell you if it helps digest food or if it will affect the timing of hunger.
Tea is good for so many things.
Anti-oxidants, that helps everything.
If you are not staying hydrated or if your food lacks moisture, then tea, like water will balance things out, so there is enough water in your system to work smoothly.
It's also a comfort, tradition, and habit for many of us.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I doubt that tea is making any difference. There are a lot of factors that determine when and how hungry people get, including what, how much and when they ate. As long as you're not dehydrated, don't worry about it.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:15 PM   #6
Cook

Sugarless anything isn't going to be good for you on any level. I've had to take a deep dive into this after my liver transplant six months ago. Taking prednesone, any kind of sugar, processed food, or High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFS), makes the steroid munchies twice as bad.

If something is labeled "sugarless", read the label. They may be substituting in HFS, anything that ends in "ose", aspartame (don't even get me started on that), or any other number of artificial sweeteners that will get you over time.

This is why all those "fat free" products don't work. To keep them from tasting like crap, they add more sugar and salt.
LVDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 07:17 PM   #7
Cook

PS: I've heard good things about Monk Fruit sweetener. Right now I've been using coconut sugar.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:37 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDeb View Post
Sugarless anything isn't going to be good for you on any level. I've had to take a deep dive into this after my liver transplant six months ago. Taking prednesone, any kind of sugar, processed food, or High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFS), makes the steroid munchies twice as bad.

If something is labeled "sugarless", read the label. They may be substituting in HFS, anything that ends in "ose", aspartame (don't even get me started on that), or any other number of artificial sweeteners that will get you over time.

This is why all those "fat free" products don't work. To keep them from tasting like crap, they add more sugar and salt.
Hm. I didn't take his question to mean that the tea had artificial sweetener but that it just had no sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDeb View Post
PS: I've heard good things about Monk Fruit sweetener. Right now I've been using coconut sugar.
All added sugars are made up of some combination of fructose, glucose and sucrose, which are metabolized in pretty much the same ways.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:43 AM   #9
Cook

I see that too after having looked at it again. I'm so used to Mom doing everything "sugarless" my mind jumps right to the other one.

Yup, totally agree on the metabolization thing. All in all, moderation on that, which is so hard to do 'cause it's in everything.

Tea without sugar for digestion? Everyone is going to react differently to different ingredients.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:26 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
I have noticed that if I drink black tea plain, as in no sugar/sweetener or milk (my preferred cuppa), I will get that hunger feeling. As long as I add a bit of sugar (less than 1/4 teaspoon) and a couple tablespoons of dairy, I don't get the hunger "pains". Oddly enough, I drink my coffee black and don't have the same issue. Go figure.

In the end, only kindness matters" ~ from the song "Hands" by Jewel
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sugar