Don't ever make this mistake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
Hi friends!

I made the stupidist mistake yesterday evening. After taking a shower, I sprayed on some perfume, and now I can't taste anything, smell anything, and even now, 12 hours later I have this noxious sensation in my mouth. I hadn't used perfume for years, except in the shower, and now I can't get rid of this acid, acrid feeling in my mouth. I'm drinking water to try and get rid of it, and I can still feel this sensation in my mouth, particularly on my tongue. Do NOT make this mistake - and, by the way, if any of you have tips on how to get rid of it, could you please let me know! You professionals know very well how important a clean palate is!:(

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I sprayed it on my neck, not on my face, and now all I can taste is chemicals -
it's awful. I don't know how it got onto my tongue. I hadn't used perfume for years, and even then they were always natural perfumes from Morocco, Lebanon, and around the Med. This perfume was European. I have no idea how it ended up on my mouth, and tongue in particular. But I'm really posting this as a caveat (Latin for warning) for everyone at DC, whom now I consider friends.

P.S. to relieve stress, I go for a really good bottle of quality wine, and I start cooking, which is where my soul is really at. Then I walk it off. I'm really tee-d off about losing my palate. Any tips about how to restore it will be gratefully received.

di reston

Enough can sometimes be more than a feast. From me

I'm guessing that the smell is what is messing with your sense of taste. I'd suggest another shower, with lots of soap and rinsing. I know when I go camping for a weekend, it takes at least a couple of showers for the campfire smoke smell to be completely gone. It soaks into the skin.

That's all I've got. Long shower, and lots of soap.

CD

You probably inhaled the fumes and the oil has stuck in your nostrils and carried to your mouth. Probably quite far back where your nostrils open to your throat. :ermm:

When my dogs/cats have encounters with a skunk, should I walk thru the area immediately after, I get the fumes up my nose and that is all I can smell for days. Nobody else smells anything just me.

I rather imagine you are just going to have to wait it out or keep on trying various things.

Lemon juice - crusty bread - soda crackers - rub with the back of a stainless steal spoon :)ohmy: being careful not to hit your gag centre)

Good Luck. Hopefully someone here has better advice.

I have no idea how my wife can smell or taste anything.

She walks around in a cloud of scented skin creams and perfumes. Sort of like Pigpen from the Peanuts comics, but with overpriced "parfum".

I mean, I can't complain. My boy and I have farting contests, so she's the Yin to our Yang.

So far, no luck, I still have the off-taste, but I enjoyed the slug of whisky, except that it enhanced the off-flavour of the perfume. Boy, will I be glad when I get rid of these noxious fumes! Thanks for the advice. The olive oil worked for a while, but the off-flavour is still there. I guess it's a question of time.

di reston

As mentioned above, diluting that oil/whatever it is, with oil, or water, or alcohol, something will help.

I get that same problem where food doesn't taste good if I use Zicam spray in throat or in any other way. The zinc interferes somehow and I am without an appetite for days until it wears off.

She walks around in a cloud of scented skin creams and perfumes. Sort of like Pigpen from the Peanuts comics, but with overpriced "parfum".

I mean, I can't complain. My boy and I have farting contests, so she's the Yin to our Yang.

I guess now we know why she walks around in a cloud of perfume [emoji38] ;)

Are we from the same family? Whenever we are sitting around the holiday table and everyone is complaining they ate to much, burping contests break out. Looong, loooud noisy, window vibrating burps.

I don't know any of those folks!

So far, no luck, I still have the off-taste, but I enjoyed the slug of whisky, except that it enhanced the off-flavour of the perfume.Boy, will I be glad when I get rid of these noxious fumes! Thanks for the advice. The olive oil worked for a while, but the off-flavour is still there. I guess it's a question of time.

di reston

:LOL: Glad you got some enjoyment out of it! :LOL: Hopefully by now it's died down di, and your taste buds and all are back to normal.

I haven't used perfume in several years. I like very lightly scented body sprays when I get out of the shower. The latest scent du jour is pink grapefruit. :)

I've just got back from my pharmacist, and he's prescribed liver de-tox tablets. The taste was getting worse, and I had a bad headache as well. Let's hope it works soon. He says quite a few ladies come to him for that, if they use certain perfumes, so he's used to helping out. I have to take them for a week, drink plenty of water, as alcohol enhances the problem. He says it's commonly known that perfume can affect the liver - so, dear ladies of D.C., beware!

di reston

Back
Top Bottom