Dry Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have a one lb jar of dry mushrooms. I know I can wash them and throw them in some pasta sauce and they will be fine.

Is there a way to reconstitute them and sauté them? I find that if I soak them for 20 minutes, as per instructions, they usually have some hard bits and they are far too wet to sauté.

I have a one lb jar of dry mushrooms. I know I can wash them and throw them in some pasta sauce and they will be fine.

Is there a way to reconstitute them and sauté them? I find that if I soak them for 20 minutes, as per instructions, they usually have some hard bits and they are far too wet to sauté.
I use a lot of dried porchini, if I want to add flavor to ordinary saute mushrooms, I chop the porchini very finely and add. Saute on their own, I have never tried.

Most recipes I've seen using dried mushrooms include the soaking water, just as Bill says above.

You should be able to use a salad spinner on them or just press dry on clean tea or paper towels.

I don't filter the water, but I do make sure not to pour the grit in the bottom of the bowl into the dish I am making. Just pour slowly, and stop when there is just a little liquid left.

I use dried mushrooms quite a bit. It you want to saute them, they should be soaked for an hour or more. I then just squeeze them dry with my hands. The stems are tough and should be removed. Adding to liquid, I soak them only enough clean. You can also chop them and add them dry to liquied. I generally remove the stems.

I also use finely ground dried mushrooms as a flavor ingredient and thickener.
Works really well in cheese/cream sauces.

The only sautee-ing I've done with dried mushrooms has been Asian stir-fries. If they are shitakees, I've been told to cut out the stem and toss it.

One good thing to do with dried european type mushrooms is to put them in your food processor and process them into a powder. They make a great thickener for sauces and such with great flavor.

I picked up and put back the giant jar of dried mixed mushrooms at Costco the other day, about 4 times. Couldn't decide if I was going to get it. I'm glad this thread popped up, helps with my decision making.

I picked up and put back the giant jar of dried mixed mushrooms at Costco the other day, about 4 times. Couldn't decide if I was going to get it. I'm glad this thread popped up, helps with my decision making.

That's the one I got. 25% each of porcini, shitake, yellow boletes, and oyster mushrooms from The Wild Mushroom Co.

don't get them, princess fee!

i bought that giant plastic jar a year or so ago, and i still haven't used much of it. they take on weird, nasty, plastic taste if you just reconstitute them in water.

i've tried several times, but the always taste funny. unlike any mushroom i've ever eaten.

now, costco's dried sliced shiitakes are very good. the whole dried caps and stems are even better, if you can find them.

i bought that giant plastic jar a year or so ago, and i still haven't used much of it. they take on weird, nasty, plastic taste if you just reconstitute them in water.

i've tried several times, but the always taste funny. unlike any mushroom i've ever eaten.

now, costco's dried sliced shiitakes are very good. the whole dried caps and stems are even better, if you can find them.

Thanks, BuckyTom! I'll just go back to drying my own, then. I try to buy when they are on sale.

I'm soaking some now. I'll report back on how they are.

I had a different large plastic jar from Costco a few years ago and they tasted fine.

i thought that it might just be what i got, taxlady. i'b be interested in what you find.

i tried seperating out the dried morels, and they tasted a little better.

i need to go look to see if they were from a foreign country. i have little faith in large box stores and the deals you get therein, for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom