"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Roast placed on round cooling rack inside Cast Iron skillet. I use the pan to make my pan drippings gravy in after roast and rack are removed.

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 AM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Is a rump roast the same as an eye round? If it's as lean as an eye round, no matter how much you cook it, it will never be tender, like a pot roast should be. It's just not the right cut for braising or pressure cooking. Pot roast made with a chuck roast is fall-apart tender, juicy and delicious, as it should be.
No. Rump roast I think from memory has some fat. Not as much as chuck. It also can be roasted rare.
Like I should have said above, I learned that several cuts not thought of as roasts were indeed very good cooked like a rare roast beef.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I believe deli roast beef is made with top round, not the eye.Some of the famous cheesesteak shops use thinly sliced ribeye.
The eye is a relative smaller cut, maybe 4"-5" across and shaped like a tenderloin.
Right. I never see it in the deli here. London Broil is the most common.
When I was 13, I worked in an Italian deli and meat market. I worked the deli side and my buddy worked on the butcher side.
The deli manager, my buddy's older sister sometimes asked me to take out the BIG roast beef she stuck in the oven for 1 hour. Only one hour at 400.
I would take it out and it would be very dark. Once cooled, refrigerated overnight and sliced it was heaven if you like rare roast beef. It came out perfect every time.
One time the owner saw me making a sandwich piled high with roast beef. He was not amused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin86 View Post
What kind of pan did you use? On small roasts I like my heavy dishes with a lid I find the thinner roast pans burn or dry out quicker
I use a dutch oven for pot roast. I use a roasting pan for roast beef.

Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes it was definitely the cut of meat you used.

You can make eye of round into London Broil by heavily marinating it, grilling or broiling it to mid rare and slicing it very thinly against the grain.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

According to beef charts, and common U.S. nomenclature, top sirloin is also called London Broil. Legend has it that a certain British King was served both halves o a top loin, and was so impressed, he dubbed it Sir-Loin. Hebse the common name for th top loin became sirloin.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:22 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
According to beef charts, and common U.S. nomenclature, top sirloin is also called London Broil. Legend has it that a certain British King was served both halves o a top loin, and was so impressed, he dubbed it Sir-Loin. Hebse the common name for th top loin became sirloin.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
London Broil is a method of preparation, not a cut. But US nomenclature uses the name for flank steak and top round, not usually sirloin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_broil

Tags
pot roast, roast