Dutch Oven base diameter for electric stovetop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thisisnotaboutagirl

Assistant Cook
I bought a Staub 18cm (1.7L) dutch oven because the largest burner on my stovetop is 18.5cm. It arrived today and the base is 16cm, so there's some unused area on the burner. The next size up is 24cm (3.6L) and I'm not sure if I should exchange it for the larger size.

It would depend on how much you cook at a time..If a dutch oven is too big and you don't reasonably fill it up with ingredients, you can dry out and burn food on the sides..on the other hand, if your element is too big, you could possibly get very hot handles, but for the most part, I would guess, dutch oven cooking is usually at lower temps so this might not be a big issue..do you not have a smaller element on your stove that would accomodate the current pot you have?

I'd go with the larger pot. Think about it... most gas burners don't flare out enough to evenly cover all of a large pan. This is why good pans are designed to even out the heat.

Based on the 18cm pot, the 24's bottom will be most likely 21cm or so, leaving only about a 1+cm overlap of the burner.

I believe you should go with the size that is correct for the most common quantity you will be using it for. At 18 cm that is probably your largest burner? Or 2nd largest?

If you need high heat to sear or brown something and then going low to simmer I often start off on the large burner and then move it over to a smaller one.

Hope we've helped you and let us know what you decide to do.

And Welcome to DC!

Definitely go with the size pot that is right for your cooking quantities. I would not get a pot twice the size so it fits on the burner better. Do you do most of your cooking in a 1.7L dutch oven. That's fairly small.

Are we talking about electric burners or gas burners? That can make a difference. I was assuming electric, since 18.5 cm sounds big to me for gas. Maybe I just don't know how gas burners are measured.

Back
Top Bottom