Egg holder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azz

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I working on my egg skill. And just got a problem; When i put egg into egg holder and want to use spoon to get inside, , egg just keep twisting in holder. Where is the problem ?

A very tricky subject I use as shown in the pic a limited edition Bolas DE Fraile velcro egg cup.
I glue the female part of the velcro inside the cup and glue the female part onto the egg, if you dont have velco handy well chewed bubble gum will work.
padeswood 137.jpg clic on pic to make bigger.

What a great idea, Bolas!
Do you folks get the same kind of bubble gum that those of us in the US get? I can only imagine that our bubble gum isn't as sticky as it used to be :(

:wacko:

Guy and Dolls, we need to resolve the op's question. Seriously, get a bit of gum rubber and glue it to the inside of the egg holder. A balloon should provide the required rubber. That should hold the egg still. And, you get to choose the rubber color.;)

Seeeeeeya;; Goodweed of the North

I got an egg cup in Germany with left handed threads. you screw the egg in and it stays put.

unfortunately it's of no use in USA because over here the hens all lay eggs with English threads, not metric.

Goodweed... I've heard some of those rubber egg holders are ribbed :angel:

Back in the old days, you'd take the top off the cooked egg, but not down to the edge of the egg cup. Then you'd use an egg spoon (shorter handle and smaller bowl) to scoop out the egg. There was enough eggshell exposed above the edge of the cup so you could steady it with your other hand.

It's about technique, not equipment.

there goes Andy off the deep end . . . inventing a solution in search of a problem! (g)

We always just scooped the egg out with a teaspoon into a teacup with a slice of bread torn up into the cup first.

I got an egg cup in Germany with left handed threads. you screw the egg in and it stays put.

unfortunately it's of no use in USA because over here the hens all lay eggs with English threads, not metric.

:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Goodweed... I've heard some of those rubber egg holders are ribbed :angel:

:angel: For whos pleasure? :angel:

Back in the old days, you'd take the top off the cooked egg, but not down to the edge of the egg cup. Then you'd use an egg spoon (shorter handle and smaller bowl) to scoop out the egg. There was enough eggshell exposed above the edge of the cup so you could steady it with your other hand.

YUP! Mom used demi tasse spoons.

What a crude way to crack open an egg, this just confirms my belief that you ex colonial serfs learned nothing from your Imperial masters;)
The picture show my 50 yrs old eggy cup Bolas, to the left is my egg spoon. It's silver with a gold plated bowl,the bowl is plated because silver gives the egg a bitter taste, note the design of the bowl. The egg cutter to the right is George 11 by H Bateman the greatest female Silversmith of the period.
In the first pic you will notice an un open newspaper, this should be place to the left and the outside should be ironed to give a good crease.
Boiled eggs should be treated with dignity and respect.Its about tecnique and equipment;)
garden & BBQ 499.jpgclic on pic to make bigger.
Ps good tecnique and equip is needed also to make the classic eggy soldiers.

Bolas, do you mean toast soldiers? It was the only way I could ever eat runny eggs. Even as a young girl I never had any problems with my eggs. I would hold it in the cup with one hand, tap it with a knife or spoon with the other and slice through (about a half inch or so from the top). Then my Mom would give me a piece of toast that was sliced into one inch strips that I would dip into the runny yolk.

It isn't really a matter of technique or equipment, just practice!

No LP, I have passion for eggs and I am very pedantic about their cooking and how to eat them:ermm:
An eggy soldier is a toasted soldier after it has been buttered and dipped.
The use of the word soldier is to indicate the stiffness required by the strip of toast, the width of said soldier is critical and should relate to the size and type of egg, to thin you get snappage to wide and you get yolk overflow, this should be taken very seriously as overflow is no yolk:ohmy:.
The bread you toast and the buttering is also pertinent, I used medium sliced wholemeal hovis toasted to no 4 on my dualit toaster, this ensures the correct stiffness I then slice to the required width and leave the soldiers to cool. I then butter both sides and stack like a shinto shrine to allow for air circulation:angel:.
Please take note, a soggy soldier is a crime eggainst humanity :wacko:
Ps would you like my methods for perfect eggs.

I don't remember too much about all that as I was young (and due to a throat condition can't eat runny eggs of any kind anymore) and my Mom would just supply me with the egg and buttered toast strips (soldiers). It worked, I liked it and all was good!:cool:

I appreciate the offer for proper cooking methods and if you would like to post them that is great. However, I am very particular about cooking boiled eggs to any stage, soft, medium and hard and have my own "perfect" methods!:chef:

Love your egg eating utensils, Bolas.
Would it be improper to color a ring of hair around the egg before placing it in the monk holder?

Back
Top Bottom