Eggplant problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamoehope

Assistant Cook
It seems every time I attempt to cook eggplant, I under cook it. I think that it looks done but it is not. Last time I cooked eggplant, I roasted it in small cubes, and it seemed to take forever to be done. When it was finally finished it was shriveled, dried, and no very good on the outside but okay on the inside.

So I need tips on cooking eggplant in general. How long do you saute it, and when do you know it's done? Or how long do you roast/bake it, and know when it's done?

You probably cooked it just fine.Try tossing the cubes with some olive oil and a vinegar of your liking when done.Add some herbs too.Eggplant is like a sponge and will absorb other flavors and moistures quite well.

You could also cover the pan to keep the steam in also.

I grill mine usually until dry and blackened a little.Then marinate with the vinagrette.I usually do other veggies with it too.Squash and asparagas and spanish onions.

I love eggplant. Here is one of my favorite ways to make it:

After peeling it and slicing it into 1/2 inch slices, I bake my eggplant in a medium oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) after brushing it lightly with olive oil on both sides. By brushing, I mean swishing it lightly with a tiny bit of oil. Then I salt and pepper it and sprinkle it with basil. I bake it for 20 to 30 minutes until it is done enough for my liking.

At this point, the surface is usually drier, but the flesh is moist beneath the surface. I like to serve it with marinara sauce, cheese, and pasta...or just eat it as is.

Try tossing the cubes with some olive oil and a vinegar of your liking when done.Add some herbs too.Eggplant is like a sponge and will absorb other flavors and moistures quite well.

You could also cover the pan to keep the steam in also.

I grill mine usually until dry and blackened a little.

I don't have a grill but I do have a broiler so I could try all three of these techniques. But my issue is I don't know when the eggplant is done. I usually assume it's done before it is and then it isn't cooked all the way through. So what are good rules of thumb for what the texture should look like or feel like when the eggplant is done?

I love eggplant. Here is one of my favorite ways to make it:

After peeling it and slicing it into 1/2 inch slices, I bake my eggplant in a medium oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit) after brushing it lightly with olive oil on both sides. By brushing, I mean swishing it lightly with a tiny bit of oil. Then I salt and pepper it and sprinkle it with basil. I bake it for 20 to 30 minutes until it is done enough for my liking.

At this point, the surface is usually drier, but the flesh is moist beneath the surface. I like to serve it with marinara sauce, cheese, and pasta...or just eat it as is.

Thank you for this recipe! I think I will try it. And I think you gave me enough information to determine when the eggplant is done or not. :)

I don't have a grill but I do have a broiler so I could try all three of these techniques. But my issue is I don't know when the eggplant is done. I usually assume it's done before it is and then it isn't cooked all the way through. So what are good rules of thumb for what the texture should look like or feel like when the eggplant is done?

Thank you for this recipe! I think I will try it. And I think you gave me enough information to determine when the eggplant is done or not. :)

Great! I hope it turns out well for you. In the oven, the eggplant is still pretty light in color when the inside is done. I have a "sacrificial slice" that I will spear and taste. I make this often enough and use it as a starting place to make other dishes. Don't worry if there is a bit uneven oil marks: Eggplant does soak in the oil. Those marks will happen less with practice. I seem to get better results, if looks are important, when placing it on baking parchment. I'm not sure why.

~Kathleen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom