Egyptian Walking Onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbqcoder

Senior Cook
Anyone have experience cooking with Egyptian Walking Onions?

I'm growing them in my garden. They're pretty easy to grow. Apparently the entire plant is edible.

But that's the problem. I don't find the entire plant to be edible. The bulbs in the ground and at the top of the plant is edible. The soft green stalks are tasty.

The problem is the seed stalk is too fibrous. I don't find it edible. Anyone else share the same opinion?

I haven't tried to grow them. I sure could have used them today. I'm going to try to get some for next year. I was searching out some green onions, and while we grow bulb onions, and they have green stalks, I'm not sure it is the same flavor as a younger green stalk/leaves. I needed them for a dressing. Basil, lemon, garlic green goddess.

If you are part of a community garden or know of one in your town, there's likely a few gardeners who can give you the bulbils. If you don't have access to one and would like some, drop me a PM with your address and I'll mail you a few to plant.

Well thanks I may do that. I've got some garlic that is fabulous, and seeds tomatoes and others.......we might be able to make a trade.

I have never tried Egyptian walking onions. They sound interesting. Bbqcoder, have you ever eaten garlic scapes. The seed stalk sounds similar. I find garlic scapes are quite fibrous, but the work well in a salad, once they are chopped into short pieces. I wonder if that would be the case with the seed stalks.

Yes, I’ve had scapes. They can be woody if you don’t pick them early enough. But otherwise, I’ve found them to be tender. I like roasting them or using them to make garlic pesto.

These Egyptian walking onion stalks were more fibrous than scapes in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom