English Toffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
Does anyone have any tips for English Toffee. I am planning on making some for Christmas, but haven't done it before. Is it necessary to have a candy thermometer? I have seen some recipes that just say to boil for 7 minutes.

Thanks!

Splurge and buy a candy thermometer--you can use it for lots of other candies, and for deep frying.

(I have made the boil for 7 minutes kind and it turned out great! I can eat the whole batch all by myself.)

Be sure to use real butter - it brings important flavor that margarine just can't. The boil needs to reach 300 degrees. Time is not a good way to evaluate at altitude, humidity and lots of other things can affect cook times. I like mine rolled in roasted almonds :)

Never hurts to get the thermometer, you'll use for a multitude of things if you make candies, caramel sauce, and pasturization in canning.
If you go without a thermometer, pay close attention to bubble formation (small bubbles, followed by big bubbles, followed by small again) then to the change in color--when it gets just a little caramel colored, it's done. Stop the heat right away. Work fast, add whatever it needs, and pour it out quickly.

My favorite toffee is with almonds added (too) and then poured into a greased sheet, topped with chocolate, spread thin, then break it up into pieces.
Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll be a master at it.

Tip: don't cook candy with a rubber spatula--had a friend try that, it's not a good idea. Rubber spatulas melt.

You may want to check the Martha Stewart site. She made some today with chocolate on both sides. Very interesting!!!

Never hurts to get the thermometer, you'll use for a multitude of things if you make candies, caramel sauce, and pasturization in canning.
If you go without a thermometer, pay close attention to bubble formation (small bubbles, followed by big bubbles, followed by small again) then to the change in color--when it gets just a little caramel colored, it's done. Stop the heat right away. Work fast, add whatever it needs, and pour it out quickly.

My favorite toffee is with almonds added (too) and then poured into a greased sheet, topped with chocolate, spread thin, then break it up into pieces.
Once you've done it a couple of times, you'll be a master at it.

Tip: don't cook candy with a rubber spatula--had a friend try that, it's not a good idea. Rubber spatulas melt.

Thanks for your story.

You made me smile in a large way. Thanks for sharing.

Trader Joe's dips their toffee in dark chocolate and coats each piece with chunks of bright green Roasted Pistachios. They are colorful for the holidays and deeeelicious! I have yet to find pistachios that are as bright a green as theirs...but I've only looked one place come to think of it :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom