Expecting first baby ... need quick, good food!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jurdoc

Assistant Cook
Well I am 24 years old and my wife and I are expecting our first child within the next 9 months. I already well enough know to be endearing and go out to buy cottage cheese and icecream at a whim...and never, ever joke about the size of certain parts that are growing. (or swelling) :ROFLMAO:

Anyways, I am hoping, perhaps there are a few experienced men (and women) out there that could give me some advice on (generally low cost) basic recipes, things that I can put together without having to break the bank or the clock. (I often work 50+ hr weeks) I want to be sure she eats healthy, and come to think of it, myself also.

oh yea. she is a vegan, however, CAN be persuaded to eat turkey, I'd LIKE her to eat fish or crab, but she'll only eat shrimp. She dislikes the "fishy" taste and the unique texture of fish. is there anything that I could prepare (in addition to the lowcost routine meals) that might give her a different perspective on fish?

any ladies who have gone through a pregnancy who had a husband who did something right (or wrong) let me know what you think. I'm a good husband and all, but I myself have complex health problems, and that my wife gets the best nutrition possible is probably, at this point, my most compelling concern.

Thanks for any help and don't hesitate to message me.

-Dan

I ate alot of fresh fruits and veggies. I don't know much about vegan - but you need to make sure she is getting enough protein. Is she taking prenatal vitamins? Advice to you? Don't argue with her about anything, she is always right.:-p

Prenatal vitamins are a must. You might try whizzing up some of the things she doesn't like to eat in a blender, along with other more tasty ingredients to hide the flavor of what she doesn't like.

My 1975 edition of "The Joy of Cooking" lists grams of proteins in various foods along with the calorie counts, and discusses the whole subject, starting on about p. 8. Don't know whether this is included in the latest version of the book or not, but the 1975 edition is still in print, I believe. (There might be better information elsewhere, and I'm sure someone on this discussion board can tell you so.)

To avoid "morning sickness" I found it very helpful to nibble constantly through the day. Not much, just enough to keep the tummy busy. A quarter slice of bread, or a cracker, or two grapes, or a swallow of milk, every 40 minutes or so.

Other than that, be appreciative and kind, and never, ever hint that you find her anything but beautiful--now or after the baby is born!

ditto on the prenatal vitamins!

It's wonderful that she'll eat turkey. Turkeys are very often so very cost effective! Purchase one at least 20 pounds, roast it and then freeze 1-meal-sized portions of meat. It's amazing how many meals you can get from just one bird!
With your turkey here a few suggestions:
Turkey soup (add as many veggies as you can)
Turkey sandwiches (besides tomatoes and lettuce, think about cucumbers, onions, & carrot shreds)
Hot turkey with an apple/nut chutney

Also, with those snacks that TexanFrench noted, a small serving of turkey broth with a couple of crackers is a very nice (healthy) goodie!

I always made up a basket of food for my sisters when they were coming home. For a new dad and a vegetarian wanna be mom, you really cannot beat pasta. If she eats ice cream, she is definitely not a vegan. But one of my sisters' husbands is a vegetarian. Tomato sauces are great, as is just olive oil, a bit of pepper (either hot or black or both) and garlic. Couscous is one form of pasta that is yummy and can be made vegan style (buy Near East brand, make it up with water or vegetarian broth, available in most stores. Then toss in raisins, nuts, and green onions). Vegetarian chili is easy to make as well. Remember it isn't the heat that makes chili great, it is the onions, mild or medium fresh peppers (go for the red rather than green if you're using bell peppers) and I can't emphasize this enough, CUMIN. Use canned beans; pintos, kidneys, black, or a combination. This is great over rice, Hawaiian style, or over spaghetti, Cincinnati style (to truly achieve the latter, put some cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice in the mix).

Baked potatoes with toppings of your choice. A vegan won't eat butter or cream. But brocolli or cauliflower, steamed,and olive oil and seasoninigs are pretty yummy.

As for when she and the baby are home, if she's nursing she'll have to watch what she eats because baby can react.

Very spicy foods can cause baby discomfort. Eat normally at first and see if there are any reactions. Rest assured, baby will let you know. They don't need words to send messages.

Throughout the pregnancy enjoy every minute with your wife, be them good or uncomfortable. She'll appreciate your active involvement.

Once the baby is born the fun will really begin. Seriously, you'll be amazed at how quickly things change and the baby grows. It's almost like time-lapse photography. Savor those times, they are gone way too soon.

Get a camera and take lots and lots of photos. You will never regret it.

Then...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!!!!

;)

This stuff is really good and tastes good to, all you need to do is mix it with cold soy milk or rice milk.
Below are the ingredients in 1st link.
You can read the feedback on it on second link.I used drink it all the time it,s loaded with nutrition. in fact you should drink it to you can make it with milk if want for yourself. Just one a day should really give her a good amount of protein etc to go along with a healthy diet.

Nature's Plus Spiru-tein Shake Vanilla -- 2.4 lbs - Vitacost
Amazon.com: Nature's Plus - Spiru-Tein - Vanilla, 2.4 lb powder: Health & Personal Care

Last edited:
Her health care provider should give her a list of foods that are best for both her and the growing baby. A vegan, vegetarian or complete carnivore all have to have certain amounts of vitamins, minerals, proteins, etc...to encourage excellent health. Ask the doctor or midwife.

Fresh is best, but frozen vegetables are usually packed at the peak. Dairy is important. Fruits at least twice a day. Whole grains as opposed to refined grains. Lean meat, or soy in your wife's case. Limit sugars and bad fats. Any thing that goes in her mouth, travels in her blood and goes to the baby.

Congratulations on your expected arrival. if your wife is vegan and isn't already eating it, though I bet she is, you can't go wrong with lentil soup. Filling, full of protein, and delicious. And so many ways to cook it.

I'm not fond of "fishy" fish either. Maybe she would like cod or haddock. Neither of these have a fishy smell, and the texture is firm and the taste is delicious baked and then dipped in butter (or to watch calories perhaps served with a fruit salsa). Also, talapia and orange roughy tend to be fish that people will eat even if they aren't too fond of other types of fish. Talapia is good seved with a vegetable medley of zuchinni, onion, carrot and yellow squash.

Congratulations and enjoy this time together. :)

Try cooking with Quinoa - it is easy, fast and nutritious
also you can have soups and stews ready for her and you to eat in the slow cooker and you can make oatmeal at night to be ready for you in the morning (part of a nice nutritious hot breakfast):)

Quinoa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"the United Nations has classified it as a supercrop for its very high protein content (12-18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete foodstuff. This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is also gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights"

Last edited:
There are cookbooks that address the very things you are looking for. The Le Leche League, the breast feeding advocacy group, has an excellent book entitled, Whole Foods for the Whole Family. It is geared for healthy food prep, eating and storing. The recipes do NOT contain any processed foods (cans of cream of something soups) nor any white flour. It has recipes for made from scratch whole grain dishes. It has recipes for vegetarians, for quick meals, for good meals to put in the freezer. It also has kid friendly recipes. Amazon.com used to carry a nice selection of their cookbooks.

Congratulations and good luck!

in a word "Folic acid", ok so that`s 2 words, but you catch my drift :)

and Congrats, being a Dad totaly Rocks! :)

The pre-natal vitamins are a MUST!! As far as the food goes, what ever she wants, though try not to have her eat to many fatty, sugary foods!! Congrats and best of luck!!;)

As an expectant father, are you eating right? It is very important that you get the proper nutrition during this time as well. All the excitement and anxiety and change in your lifestyle can drain you. You should be taking a good daily multi-vitamin.
Getting a medical physical is essential to your health. Monitor your mood swings and stress levels. Take precautions not to over induldge in any remodeling that involves toxic levels of lead and other brain damaging chemicals that can cause an increase in your blood pressure and create symptoms for a possible stroke.
Consult your doctor about the best nutritional diet for you.
I hope the very best for your family and the many blessings of fatherhood.

Congratulations, Dan!

Yep, I've ridden in this rodeo a few times!

Your first, and foremost, source of dietary information should be your wife's doctor - be it a family physician, OB/GYN or pediatrician. He/She should be able to give you at least a basic pamplet on prenatal diets to get you started. You should also discuss your wife's vegan lifestyle with him/her.

Prenatal vitamins are only a suppliment to her diet - not a replacement for a good diet.

Here are some things both of you might want to look over:

Foods to avoid during pregnancy

Prenatal Diets and Recipes

Vegan prenatal diet

Vegetarian prenatal diet

Odd Cravings During Pregnancy

Exercise during Pregnancy

If you want to consult with someone local in Anchorage from the Le Leche League - click here.

Unless she has some medical condition - she is not an invalid - so you don't need to feel like you have to do all of the cooking by yourself. Although, helping with the cooking and housework is something you should have been doing all along, right girls?

Once you work out the diet - then you can work on the recipes.

Hello Jurdoc

I am a mother. I remember those preganancy cravings.
I think the best thing to do, is pander to your wifes eating whims, for now. The baby knows what it needs. Add as much fresh fruit and vegetables as u can, to whatever it is she wants to eat. Or just give them, as a side serving. U dont have to buy expensive things for her, to eat. Just ask what things she is in the mood for, each time u go shopping. The cravings change throughout pregnancy. And some things, that one likes when not pregnant, are unappetising, while pregnant.

Mel

quick and easy recipes

Congrats on the baby...

I was pregnant myself not too long ago, and I remember LOTS of take-out. Not good! What was helpful, however, was to make things on Sundays and freeze them in 4 serving containers until ready to bake. I made things like lasagna and enchiladas as I recall. What I would suggest is to get Bon Appetit magazine- they have a "Quick and Easy" section toward the back of their monthly mag. Cooking Light also has suggestions for quick and easy (and they're healthy too). Check out their website and you can actually put certain ingredients in for searches within their quick and easy section.

Good luck!
Lori

After both babies i just kicked myself for not stocking my freezer with meals for the first two weeks, right after the baby is born when mom is still tired and worn out she just needs rest and to take care of baby.
After the baby is 12 weeks or so things really calm down and get back to normal a little, well your new normal.
I would be worried about iron, alot of women get low iron in the last month and it is hard to get that iron up after it goes down and you don't want to take to much iron either it takes awhile to get it out of the body when it builds up. I bet there are some good books on Vegan diets and pregnancy if you don't allready have one that is, Sounds like you will be doing some cooking, Good luck with your new little bundle of Joy. Janet

Back
Top Bottom