Facebook Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I ran across this idea on Facebook the other day. I tried making them and they were very good.

Preheat oven to 400F
Wash potato but do not remove the skin.
Slice potato but do not slice all the way through. (See Photo)
Brush with olive oil or melted butter.
Sprinkle with coarse salt and cracked pepper.

Bake for one hour or until slices are crispy at the edges and golden brown.

I have made these twice now and have a suggestion to the original recipe.
Put something into/between each slice to allow the potato to open like a flower.
Or put something under each potato to allow it to bend in the middle and open it up.
I am thinking a small piece of onion might work in between the slices? Pat of butter? Garlic? Something to keep them separated.

I am looking for suggestions for how to help the potato flower. Like a blooming onion.
I tried soaking in cold salted water, but did not have time to allow it to blossom. Not sure that would have worked anyway.

Attachments

• sliced baked potato 2.jpg
    sliced baked potato 2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 240
ATK had a recipe for hasselback potatoes that involved rinsing the potatoes after slicing to get rid of some of the excess starch. There's more to their process. You can look it up on their site. I made them once and tossed the recipe because I think it's too fussy for no real benefit other than it's a novelty.

ATK had a recipe for hasselback potatoes that involved rinsing the potatoes after slicing to get rid of some of the excess starch. There's more to their process. You can look it up on their site. I made them once and tossed the recipe because I think it's too fussy for no real benefit other than it's a novelty.

The first time I saw this on ATK, my immediate thought was "a company recipe." A potato is a potato and tastes like a potato should. :angel:

I ran across this idea on Facebook the other day. I tried making them and they were very good.

Preheat oven to 400F
Wash potato but do not remove the skin.
Slice potato but do not slice all the way through. (See Photo)
Brush with olive oil or melted butter.
Sprinkle with coarse salt and cracked pepper.

Bake for one hour or until slices are crispy at the edges and golden brown.

I have made these twice now and have a suggestion to the original recipe.
Put something into/between each slice to allow the potato to open like a flower.
Or put something under each potato to allow it to bend in the middle and open it up.
I am thinking a small piece of onion might work in between the slices? Pat of butter? Garlic? Something to keep them separated.

I am looking for suggestions for how to help the potato flower. Like a blooming onion.
I tried soaking in cold salted water, but did not have time to allow it to blossom. Not sure that would have worked anyway.

Since a potato isn't round and it's cut from end to end, it won't open like a flower. A blooming onion is cut in concentric circles to make it open like a flower.

I've been making these for years. I like to put some grated Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs - what I use depends on what's in other dishes in the meal - in the slices.

Here's a tip: Put a pair of chopsticks under the potato, down the length, as you make the slices. They will prevent you from slicing all the way through.

Last edited:
Since a potato isn't round and it's cut from end to end, it won't open like a flower. A blooming onion is cut in concentric circles to make it open like a flower.

I've been making these for years. I like to put some grated Parmesan cheese and fresh herbs - what I use depends on what's in other dishes in the meal - in the slices.

Here's a tip: Put a pair of chopsticks under the potato, down the length, as you make the slices. They will prevent you from slicing all the way through.

Bloomin onion was only an example. I had hoped cold salted water would help to separate the slices?

Great suggestion on the chop sticks as I had to be very careful not to go all the way through. And getting almost there is a requirement.

For those who look at this as a gimmick.
They come out fairly crispy and can be pulled apart slice by slice and dipped into anything you like including ketchup for the kids (my wife too).

It is much more flavorful than a standard baked potato, with little more work.
GG. Does the grated cheese help to keep the slices separated? I saw some other pictures of potato's like this with all kinds of things in between the slices. So far I have only used butter, oil salt and pepper.

I am going to try putting a small piece of onion in between to help separate the slices next time. Or maybe kick them up with other inserts.
Thanks for the help.

Oh. I had another idea. Once they are sliced and ready, what do you think about deep frying the whole thing? I bet that would open up things a little? Might even add some crunch?

Bloomin onion was only an example. I had hoped cold salted water would help to separate the slices?

I'm not sure. I don't think that would soften them enough to allow the bottom to bend.

GG. Does the grated cheese help to keep the slices separated? I saw some other pictures of potato's like this with all kinds of things in between the slices. So far I have only used butter, oil salt and pepper.

No, it adds flavor. I think the problem with your idea is that there isn't a lot of room for the slices to expand into. As you try to open them up, the ends will press against the surface. If you cut off a few slices at each end, that might help.

I am going to try putting a small piece of onion in between to help separate the slices next time. Or maybe kick them up with other inserts.
Thanks for the help.

It's worth a shot :)

Oh. I had another idea. Once they are sliced and ready, what do you think about deep frying the whole thing? I bet that would open up things a little? Might even add some crunch?

For this, I think I would cut the potatoes differently. Instead of cutting them almost all the way through, I'd cut them halfway through, alternating cuts on the top and bottom. I think they would be less likely to come apart in the fryer with shallower cuts.

I don't deep-fry at home, but I would guess that dredging them in some seasoned flour or a light batter would help with crisping them up.

I've made these several times, and yes, the bamboo shoved lengthwise through the very bottom keeps you from cutting all the way through.

For flavor, try using a pepper oil, or herb/spice mixture. Truffle oil or truffle salt is good, as is a good compound butter.

Another good flavor profile with these is EVOO and garlic. I think, if the Hassleback potatoes were supported with something like a slotted spoon, or wire basket, you could get deep fry them. The problem would be removing them from the oil. These are also great when brushed with a liquid fat, be it butter, or bacon grease, and grilled between divided banks of charcoal.

If you haven't tried them, this - http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/194546/0/Bacon-Wrapped-Sausage-Stuffed-Potato-Bombs .

I cored my stuffed potato bombs all the way through, and cut the plug in half. I stuffed the spuds with mushrooms and butter, cut the plug in half, and inserted the two halves part way in on either side. I didn't wrap in in foil, but rather placed them on a cooler part of the grill while cooking a large chicken. The smoke from the grill added a wonderful flavor to my potato bombs.

And yet another technique for everyone to enjoy. I didn't invent it. But I do enjoy it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
http://www.13wmaz.com/news/article/194546/0/Bacon-Wrapped-Sausage-Stuffed-Potato-Bombs

I've made these several times, and yes, the bamboo shoved lengthwise through the very bottom keeps you from cutting all the way through.

Thanks Chief. I think GG's point was to use two(2) chop sticks along the outside bottom to prevent cutting all the way through.
I did not hear her say to insert the chop stick.

However, if you are using a bamboo skewer, then shoving it would work. :LOL:

Thanks Chief. I think GG's point was to use two(2) chop sticks along the outside bottom to prevent cutting all the way through.
I did not hear her say to insert the chop stick.

However, if you are using a bamboo skewer, then shoving it would work. :LOL:

Yes, the recipe I used called for bamboo skewers shoved through the potato. It worked well for me.

I think you're right about GG's post though. It sounds like it would work too.

Yes, the recipe I used called for bamboo skewers shoved through the potato. It worked well for me.

I think you're right about GG's post though. It sounds like it would work too.

This is what I've done. Lay the two chopsticks parallel and about 2"-3" apart. Place the potato between the chopsticks. When you slice down through the potato, the chopsticks will stop the blade from cutting through the potato to the cutting board. No need to push the chopstick into the potato

The slices fan out better if you cut the two ends off the potato before you start.

The slices fan out better if you cut the two ends off the potato before you start.

This is what I am learning. I wanted the final product to look just like the picture and that was asking way to much.
But I have done this twice now and the second attempt turned out better than the first attempt. With time and practice, maybe it will look like the picture one day. lol

I saw someone sliding a small pat of butter in between slices. But i make my slices fairly thin, so that would be a lot of butter.
Thats why I thought about other things I could insert between the slices.

I will try deep frying also to see how they come out.

Last edited:
This is what I am learning. I wanted the final product to look just like the picture and that was asking way to much.
But I have done this twice now and the second attempt turned out better than the first attempt. With time and practice, maybe it will look like the picture one day. lol

I saw someone sliding a small pat of butter in between slices. But i make my slices fairly thin, so that would be a lot of butter.
Thats why I thought about other things I could insert between the slices.

I will try deep frying also to see how they come out.

I think your results will benefit from checking out the America's Test Kitchen's recipe for this type of potato. They have addressed your issues.

Hasselback potatoes were invented by a Swedish chef, but are started to gain popularity in North America.

They will fan better if you use smaller, rounder potatoes. If I want them to fan, I put a very thin slice of garlic between the slices.

I prefer using a wooden spoon as a holder for the potato, so I don't cut all the way through. I find the chopsticks can start to move.

20130405_195641.jpg

I stabilize the wooden spoon by sitting it in the handle opening of my cutting board.

IMG_3105.JPG

I think your results will benefit from checking out the America's Test Kitchen's recipe for this type of potato. They have addressed your issues.

I was once presented with a subscription to ATK at Christmas.
I will check the web site.
Thanks Andy.

ATK placed their potatoes in water to sit a while. They also cut off small pieces from each end. These steps helped to remove some of the starch. It is the starch that keeps your potatoes from fanning out. It acts as a glue. That starch is what turns your mashed potatoes to glue when you whip them too much.

I don't remember how long ATK soaked their potatoes. But when they removed them, you could see all the starch at the bottom of the water. They also dried the potatoes thoroughly before cutting into them.

Andy, do you remember if ATK soaked them before slicing them or after? I would think you get rid of more starch if you soak them after slicing. :angel:

...Andy, do you remember if ATK soaked them before slicing them or after? I would think you get rid of more starch if you soak them after slicing. :angel:

Addie, I don't remember. That's why I suggested looking it up.

Hasselback potatoes were invented by a Swedish chef, but are started to gain popularity in North America...
I do remember making them back in the last house, so it would be pre-2000. I was getting all kinds of those sample "buy our recipe card sets" offers in the mail (I have enough sample cards for an entire box! :LOL: ) and Hasselbacks were one of the recipes. Made them for the first time when The Fam was visiting from FL because they looked impressive. Not sure if anyone was impressed because I was so slow making them. It was a lot of potatoes!

I've made them a couple times since for the two of us. I like to jam cooked bacon between the fins shortly before they're done, along with mashing a bit of cheddar cheese into the spaces too.

Back
Top Bottom