Factory Farms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just out of curiousity Constance - are you a vegetarian? If not, do you raise & slaughter your own meat/poultry?

I'm not asking that to be snarky, but the answers do open up more of a discussion to this.

Gotta' feed the masses! The majority bases purchase decisions on price over any other factor, whether that be quality or even ethics. Thats why factory-farming of animals has developed to the point it is now.

If you really want to see something gross, look up the conditions and environmental impact of Smithfield Pork farms in the Mid-Atlantic states. I refuse to purchase Smithfield pork products for this reason, and the fact that they are almost all packaged in a salted broth to plump the meat and extend it's shelf life. It's cheap, but not better in my book!

But mass farming is what it is. I bought a couple 3lb chickens this morning for $2 each. I can't believe there are even any profits in that! It's that streamlined process that enables the high volume and low prices.

I don't think I could ever become a vegetarian though. And unlike that article states, I'm in no way drifting from red meat eating! :LOL:

A rather disturbing article isn't it? But before you rush to become a vegetarian by reaction, it might be informative to read what methods growers use to make their crops grow virtually overnight in greenhouses.

Quite seriously, the only answer is to grow/raise whatever you consume. But for how many of us is this possible in today's world?

Will Rogers..(one of my American heros) once quiped.."The making of laws and the making of sausage should not be watched" I suppose one could add to this..slaughter houses and chicken processing plants should not be visited!!
Just enjoy the products....or not...

I remember from a "History of Science & Technology" class I took at UMass that large-scale farming is one of the activities that promotes advancement of society and civilization. It reduces the workload on people and frees up time for education. Of course in much of the developed world this free time is now spent in vegetation... so why not be in it literally by returning to small farms... :LOL:

Nicholas Mosher said:
I remember from a "History of Science & Technology" class I took at UMass that large-scale farming is one of the activities that promotes advancement of society and civilization. It reduces the workload on people and frees up time for education. Of course in much of the developed world this free time is now spent in vegetation... so why not be in it literally by returning to small farms... :LOL:
What your History of Science & Technology has taught you was spot on here in Greece. That is to say, with technological advances in farming and the resulting abandonment of farming as a livelihood by many, so much time became available for education that everyone has ended with at least one college degree and, as a result nothing much to do. Perhaps the return to the vegetative or small farm stage has been forestalled at present as everyone is too busy pursuing additional education and therefore degrees as a way out.:smartass:

Nicholas Mosher said:

Does Chapter 13 ring any bells with you? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: By the way we call our
small farms "living rooms" :LOL:

Ya know, I really dislike this sort of topic on a food forum. It only causes problems eventually.

I think its a relevant topic. That said, I'm not contributing this time, other than to say that this is IMO relevant.

I'm a first generation "off the farm" kid and I don't understand the intent of this thread. I spent a lot of time (weekends and summers), up until I graduated high school and went into the Navy when I was 18 in 1967, on my Uncles' farms - well, a farm, a dairy, a beef cattle ranch and a "poultry" farm/egg ranch.

As the majority of the population moves away from the farm they have lost the understanding of what happens to bring the groceries to the table. So, it seems "barbaric" to them. LOL - they should have seen my grandma walk out to the chicken coop and wring a chicken's neck with her bare hands!

Michael in FtW said:
LOL - they should have seen my grandma walk out to the chicken coop and wring a chicken's neck with her bare hands!
I understand what you're saying, Michael. I grew up in a rural farming region and still remember, fondly, the awesome taste of fresh milk - right from Bossy. Fresh eggs, etc. I'm almost exactly your age so I know of what you speak.

I vividly remember my MIL going out to the chicken yard to get our "dinner," which was going to be fried. My son saw her and came inside to report to me," Mommy, mommy, grandma broke a chicken."

The dinner was delicious, of course.

I apologize for posting the thread...I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone. I should have stated that the opinions expressed there were not my own.

I have seen related subjects posted here, concerning faux gras, overcrowding of factory chickens, and inhumane slaughtering methods, and I thought this article might make for interesting discussion. Obviously I have made a major faux pas.

You all know I am not a vegetarian. I believe that the fishes of the sea, the fowls of the air, and the cattle of the land were meant for food.

Gee, I'm sorry. Don't be mad.

Attachments

• animals067.gif
    animals067.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 151
Be assured, Connie, I certainly wasn't offended. What I got from the information and the discussion was that today's folks don't understand how the steak or bacon gets to their table as thoroughly as the folks, years ago, who produced it did. It doesn't get there by magic and has to be "processed" in some manner to be consumed. I still miss the yummy freshness of those goods that came right from its source. I won't get that unless I have a farm of my own. At my age, that's not gonna happen. Boo hoo. The closest I get is having an herb and vegetable garden.

I'm definetly not squeemish about "Where dinner came from", but I do think some practices are a little out of hand, mainly from an environmental standpoint (especially our waterways).

Here is the Rolling Stone article I read on Smithfield Farms...
Rolling Stone : Pork's Dirty Secret: The nation's top hog producer is also one of America's worst polluters

I believe Smithfield has been banned from operating any farms in South Carolina because of this. They earned some of the largest EPA fines in the history of the organization. Of course for them it's just a drop in the bucket. Much cheaper to pay a few fines now and then just wash all their BOD-slug fetid basins into the waterways of North Carolina.
-----
While I have nothing against breeding things like chicken and growing them to maturity the way we do in confined spaces and mass-farms, I do lift an eyebrow with some of the slaughtering techniques such as the "hang n' slash" method. I'd much rather see butchers lopping off heads or wringing necks than a malfunctioning/jammed machine dicing the legs and wings off live chickens as they flop around on a wire/hook. Of course that would drive chicken prices up though, and people would complain for what to them looks like the same exact product in a foam tray wrapped with plastic. Alas, my Chicken Marsala is more important to me than a few tortured chickens, so I buy what's available and fresh. When there is an option though, I tend to make informed purchases.

Here is a great video to watch. It's from a favorite film of mine entitled "Baraka" (well worth a purchase by the way). Its about the natural world, people, society, and the interactions of all. Basically a movie on sociology and ecology. This is a scene that shows similarities between the machine that is daily human life in modern urban society and the machines of a chicken processing plant (not slaughtering, just processing baby chicks for those mass-farms).

It's on You-Tube...
YouTube - baraka (c)

Connie....

Uncle Bob will send many many braves with many arrows in your defense too if need be!!!!!!

Or maybe I'll just send a couple of guys outta N.O or Chicago to have a "chat" with them....:LOL:

We must.. all of us.. respect the opinions of all others here!!!

"Ain't" America great!!!!

Everything means sacrifice; Like Grandma really wanted that job!

If you knew the sacrifices oilfield workers make to get a barrel of oil to the gas pump, you would get a job a little closer to home. Most of them work seven days a week 12-14 hr days.

There is a lot more sacrifice on the human side of life.

Ever been to one of those petting zoos and help overfeed the animals?

Ever tried to feed a cow with a hamburger? Bacon to a pig? etc.

Ever been paid $1 a bushel to pick apples, dig potatoes, chop a cord of firewood, shovel snow?

I would ride my bicycle to the gym but then I would be too tired to exercise.

I would go on a diet but I can't afford food right now. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom