"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Master Chef

Fantastic video on pizza in Napoli, AKA Naples...

The passion that goes into such a simple dish is amazing. I've been to Napoli, and have eaten pizza there. There is something special about it. There are places in the US, even here in Dallas, that do a good, traditional Neapolitan pizza, but not everything called Neapolitan pizza really is Neapolitan pizza.

Also, I have never heard of pizza frita, or fried pizza. It is on my short list of foods to cook after the holidays are over and I have time to research it and cook it.

CD

Old 12-20-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
Master Chef

Nice.

I'm off to make a pizza.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

In Wisconsin we have a ponza rotta which is a pizza frito.
My favorite is the veggie ponza rotta (the pile of mushrooms and black olive and cheese is to die for), DS loves the pepperoni one, DH the sausage and mushroom one. Incredible.

This is an internet picture of one.

I have never made one (hard to believe). We have been eating them here: https://jimmysgrotto.com/ on rare occasion (because they are so rich) since the late 70's, they are incredible. Do a little search for them on google pictures, you'll see them.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I really enjoyed the video, casey. The last place was really amazing. I like how he combines tradition and innovation.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:16 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I really enjoyed the video, casey. The last place was really amazing. I like how he combines tradition and innovation.
I agree completely. I love it when chefs -- and home cooks like me -- balance tradition with making something that is an expression of personal creativity. I think it keeps traditional foods alive over time.

CD
Old 12-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
Master Chef

I need a pizza oven. But the crust was exceptional without it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6628.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	28726  
Old 12-23-2017, 03:40 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Casey, thanks for sharing that video. I really enjoyed seeing the dedication and passion this simple dish enjoys in Naples. As I was watching, I was getting hungry for pizza and wishing I had some dough ready to go.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I said, aw man, I'm not watching a 26 minute video about pizza, so I started to watch anyway and the time just got away. Awesome video.

It made my fingers auto-dial the neighborhood pizza company, the good pizzeria place. Pepperoni ( and Pepsi from the fridge.)

Also, it makes me want to make my own pizza crust.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Wine Guy

I've been to Naples four times, and, along with fresh buffalo mozzarella and a visit to a favorite rotisserie chicken joint, pizza is always at the top of my food list. The way the Neapolitans make it is both simple and complicated at the same time.

We have a local chain here in the Twin Cities called Punch Pizza. They use traditional wood fired ovens and make a real passable Naples style pizza. There's almost always a line out the door. If I am going to have a carb cheat day on my diet, that's where I'm headed.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
The passion that goes into such a simple dish is amazing. I've been to Napoli, and have eaten pizza there. There is something special about it. There are places in the US, even here in Dallas, that do a good, traditional Neapolitan pizza, but not everything called Neapolitan pizza really is Neapolitan pizza.

Also, I have never heard of pizza frita, or fried pizza. It is on my short list of foods to cook after the holidays are over and I have time to research it and cook it.

CD
Looks amazing. Here's another video that was suggested by Youtube to me after watching this. It looks simple I hope it's possible to make with electric pizza oven one, I guess I'll need a thermometer like this to check it because currently I don't have my good old kitchen stove...

Tags
pizza