Favorite and least favorite chain restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4meandthem

Half Baked
What is your least favorite chain restaurant?

Mine hands down has got to be Applebee's. I have tried several and that was several too many for me. I was not satisfied with the food or service on any visit. I'll leave it at that!

I do have a few chains I like for the most part. Bucco de Beppo,PF chang, even Chili's and Chevys are ok. I think the best one for me apart from the uber expensive steak chains is Maggiano's. They seem to have it together on the food and service. It is a long wait getting in on Fri/Sat so I choose not to go there then.

What you got?

The Mustard Seed is a definite favorite.

And Jaker's Steak House, fantastic!

Most other's, the one's I've tried, I don't care for them.

I liked Texas Toms, the Cheesecake factory and the Outback Steakhouse.
Bad ones I dont think I am qualified to answer that;)

Many years back, while touring the Midwest, I really enjoyed breakfasts at Perkins Family Restaurants. Haven't been there since because I'm exiled in southern NY state. Much of the food is too salty at the Outback Steakhouses in my area. Used to enjoy the fried clams at HoJo's and the Blarney Stone's in NYC during the 1970's and 80's.

My favorites are Outback Steakhouse and Subway. They have a large selection of low carb menu choices.

My least favorite is Chili's (never again!!), and Denny's (Too much sugar, Too much fat, Too much salt!)

Last edited:
I remember those fried clams at Howard Johnson's from when I was a kid. Good stuff.
I don't recognize half the names you folks are saying, they mustn't be in my area yet. I don't go out anymore anyway... unless it's the 3-4 times every couple months I go on a fast food bender for lunch.

The problem with most chains (I don't consider McPukalds or similar to be retaurants) is the variation of food quality and service from location to location. I have heard several folks rant about a location in their area, while others say they are the pitts in their area. I have just started seeing Pizza Unos popping up. I've always wanted to try Chicago style and heard they are one of the best, but I'm afraid I will most likely be disappointed.

Craig

We haven't tried many, but ours is probably Olive Garden. I'm not a fan of Applebee's but the wife and kids sure like it.

Wife and kids don't mind Golden Corral, but I hate the place. Most of it is due to the customer base in this area.

Red Lobster is up there and used to be our #1, but we got tired of it.

Favorite - Maggiano's Little Italy- love...Love....LOVE...the warm apple cristata.

Least favorite - McDonald's

Another thumbs up for Outback; another thumbs down for Applebees. I like Cracker Barrel for road trip breakfast.

Like: Jersey Mike Subs, Taco Bell!, Carrabbas, Joe's Crab Shack, couple others.

Dislike: PF Chang, holder of saltiest food record. Cheesecake Factory where nothing is good for you. Chilis, where the food is boring. Applebee's where the ribs taste freezer burned. South of the Border, Tony Roma Ribs.. both consistently boring food, poor service. I could go on... don't eat in restaurants much anymore. (Mostly because of the incredibly unhealthy salt and calorie content.)

With the exception of some higher end chains like Morton's and The palm, I generally dislike chain restaurant food.

The only one I do like is IHOP for breakfast. And Chevy's, Red Robin, Ruby Tuesday, Waffle House and 5 Guys are OK.

The ones I can't stand are Olive Garden, Applebees, PF Changs, Maggianos, Cheesecake Factory, Outback, Friendly's, Red Lobster, Bertuccis, Sbarro, CPK.

By far the worst is Applebees. Their food is ghastly.

I don't like chains. There is usually a local option that's better. If a chain is my only option, then I can suffer through a meal at any one of them if I have to.

Went to a 5 Guys on a recommendation and it was awful.

Won't go to Outback.

Longhorn is good. Not on a par with a Morton's or M&S, but it's not intended to be.

Had a burger at Applebee's once and it was no better or worse than similar places except Ruby Tuesday's, which is pretty good.

Many of the chains some have referenced aren't around here so I can't relate.

The 5 Guys here is fantastic...upon reading fat and salt content...they are higher than Mc D's.

I don't like chains. There is usually a local option that's better. If a chain is my only option, then I can suffer through a meal at any one of them if I have to.

Went to a 5 Guys on a recommendation and it was awful.

Won't go to Outback.

Longhorn is good. Not on a par with a Morton's or M&S, but it's not intended to be.

Had a burger at Applebee's once and it was no better or worse than similar places except Ruby Tuesday's, which is pretty good.

Many of the chains some have referenced aren't around here so I can't relate.

Which 5 guys did you go to? I think they are going downhill.

Which 5 guys did you go to? I think they are going downhill.

We went to the one in Nashua, NH. It's the nearest one. The burgers were overcooked and dry as a bone (not "well done and juicy"). The fries were greasy and ugly. The restaurant was not clean (I realize this is an individual indictment). Based on this experience, for the money, I'd go to Burger King and eat twice.

It would be fun to try some of the regional chains not in this area, but sticking to the national ones, the Palm and Morton's are both good, with the Palm getting the edge. I like El Torito a lot, especially their high-end version, and the Maggiano's I've been to near the Farmer's Market complex in L.A. is very good.
Denny's not a destination place, but when it's the only game in town out in the boondocks, is a lifesaver.
Have been to an Appleby's and P.F. Chang's once each and won't go again, and I may be the only person in the Western hemisphere who has never been to a McDonald's!

There really are only a few (technically) chain restaurants where I will agree to eat. My favorite would be Legal Sea Food. I've been eating there since there was only one, in Cambridge, MA. They have managed to maintain really high standards across the board.

I also like Morton's Steak House and Capital Grille. Both serve high quality food and have excellent service.

I am lucky to live in a city where there are boatloads of choices other than the chain restaurants that seem to populate suburbia. I have never been to one of the well-known chains so many folks seem to love that I would willingly go back to, and surely would not pay for. I'd rather eat a cheese sandwich at home! :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom