Favorite Childhood food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my mom's : norwegian pancakes, waffles with maple syrup, chicken parm, pot roast, labscaus, ham sandwiches, roast chicken legs, devilled eggs, hmmm, i'm sure i can remember more if i tried...

Great question, a real head scratcher, I came from a family of awesome cooks so it’s had to peg a favourite food…

My mom’s turkey pot pie would rank high, as would my grand-dad’s tradition beef stroganoff, and my grandma’s raspberry trifle…

Ohhh thinking about this is making my mouth water…awwww for the simpler days of childhood :mrgreen:

Happy cooking to all! :chef:

i loved pac-man pancakes (cut a hole out towards the edge for an eye using the syrup cap and a triangle out for the mouth) and mickey mouse ones (two dabs of batter and a big circle for mickey's face) with apple and cinnamon in them.
grilled cheeses were a favorite, as were deviled eggs, cheese, and Kaboom cereal. i loved that cereal.

Ooohhhj I forgot Popeyed eggs! I loved those! You butter bread, tear a yolk sized hole out of the center crack an egg into it, fry it up and serve it like french toast!

I know I already posted once, but who can forget hot bread, fresh from the oven after a day of playing outside in the snow. And then, there's pigs-in-the blaket, made with white bread dough wrapped around a full-sized hot dog. I make those for my crew when I'm feeling ambitious. They are a truly loved item. Add to the list a great chili, served up with soda crackers or softened corn tortillas. Fried ice cream, butter pecan ice cream, maplenut ice cream, etc. Cheesecake is tops on the list, especially topped with sweetened sour cream.

And I've been an absolute devotee of baked beans, with just a hint of chili powder in them, bread turkey stuffing with chopped giblets and livers, ripe plumbs, shrimp, and oh so much more. I love KFC original flavor, but wish they could make it less greasy. I have recipes that come close, but aren't exactly the same. I have the perfect technique for great coated chicken, but not the spice mixture to season the flour with.

Then, there's the carne asada buritoes found only in Southern California (El Cajon), and at my home in the summer. I love cantaloupe. I have always loved cantaloupe. I will always love cantaloupe. It's better than watermellon, at least to me.

Favorite drink? That's easy. For me, it's whole milk.

Favorite desert, a well filled apple pie, especially the way my daughter makes it. It should be outlawed it's so good. I've got to get home. I'm getting rather hungry.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Welsh Rabbit! I haven't had that since I was about twelve years old. I'll probably never make it because I know I can't make it as good as Mom did!

I was an extremely picky eater as a kid. But here are a few things I did like.

-Cheese burger with mayo only.
-Spaghetti O's
-Pigs in a blanket made with crouissants and cheese
-White bread with cheese, pour ketchup and then layer cooked bacon on top. Put under broiler.
-Scrambled eggs on white bread with mayo
-cream of wheat with milk, butter, and sugar
-cinnamon toast
-and of course the candy necklase

That's a difficult question. If mom was the cook it would be her spaghetti sauce, but her mother was an awesome cook. I haven't had a really good crabcake in 15 years and her fried chicken was fantastic. Mom makes good fried chicken but no as good as "Gran's". My fried chicken isn't as good as my mom's. If the trend continues, my daughter doesn't have a prayer.

I see several of my favorites already listed and it's brought back many memories. One that was not listed yet that I loved a lot was creamed chipped beef on toast, and beef goulash. Saturday mornings while she was making breakfast, she would give us each a bowl with a sectioned orange, what a treat! We would watch t.v. while waiting for breakfast. And my Mom always made the perfect snow ice cream. :)

My dad would eat peanut butter and onion sandwiches, toasted bread w/ butter added. Would always have a bite. Was missing him the other night and made one, pretty good stuff! And boiled hot dogs w/ ketchup. I could of ate that everyday. Liked to eat shrimp and mandarin oranges out of the can. When microwaves came out I would cook eggs in it, made sure to pierce the membrane or they exploded. Cinnamon toast too. My friend used to make macaroni and pour tomato soup from the can over em. Fried shrimp was my fave when going out to eat. I used to be obsessed with cheese. We couldn't afford real cheese only Velveeta. Ever had that on pizza and tacos, yuck! Only good for grilled cheese and a few other things. My first paycheck from Dairy Queen I bought a chunk of cheddar. My fridge never is without lots of different cheeses now. It's a sign that we are doing well when we have lots of good cheese:) I have fond memories of my mom and grandma's cooking but those I mentioned were kids foods that were unique that I just don't eat anymore.

Mac and tomatoes, havn't thought about them in years. It was the ultimate comfort food back in the dark ages when I was young. Lots of butter and pepper on the mac
and then crushed tomatoes. Yummy, wonder if husband would go for it.

I remember I loved avocado, I'd use a spoon to peel the skin and eat'em alone. When I turned about 8 years old suddenly I lost my taste for them. It wasn't until I was around 24 and driving back from California that I pulled into a cafe outside of El Paso after midnight, I ordered the biggest mexican dinner on the menu. I think it was called the El Grande or something like that, anyway it came with guacamole I was so hungry I devoured the meal and started loving avocado's again. + Mom's fried chicken with Pace picante sauce.:cool:

I just remembered my favorite childhood food.

It is pie crust with butter, cinnamon and sugar, then baked til golden. I still love it.

Hey Choclatechef, my Mom used to make that for us quite a bit. She would always make an extra batch of pie crust just for this. What a treat! And now as a parent, I've made it many times for my girls, even if I'm not baking pies. It's simple and comforting. :)

LeeAnn said:
Hey Choclatechef, my Mom used to make that for us quite a bit. She would always make an extra batch of pie crust just for this. What a treat! And now as a parent, I've made it many times for my girls, even if I'm not baking pies. It's simple and comforting. :)

:shock: Wow! I never knew other moms made this for their kids! I thought I had the only one.

I am glad that you love it too.:)

It's one of my mom's and my favorites, too! It was always a treat when my grandma or mom would make a pie and have leftover "trimmings" of the pie crust to bake with cinnamon sugar.

Another goodie was if there was frosting left over from a cake and we'd make graham cracker sandwiches with it. Mmmmm...

Bird's Eye Creamed Peas with those little potatoes in it - YUMMMMMMM - I sure wish they still made them. I know I can make them from scratch but I can never duplicate that exact flavor.

...and Swanson's TV Dinner - the one with fried chicken, buttered corn, mashed potatoes, and chocolate cake (I think it was chocolate cake - or some kind of fudge cake).

Back
Top Bottom