Favorite DC recipes of all time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not been here long but so far this recipe of Rainee's is my favorite.

CHOCOLATE-FILLED BREAKFAST CRESCENTS

Yield: 16 servings
2 cans (8 oz each) refrigerated quick crescent dinner rolls
1 cup Powdered sugar
3 tbsp Butter or margarine, softened
1 tbsp Milk
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
3 tbsp Finely chopped pecans
CHOCOLATE GLAZE (recipe follows)
CHOCOLATE GLAZE
2 tbsp Butter or margarine
2 tbsp HERSHEY'S Cocoa
2 tbsp Water
1 cup Powdered sugar
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
Procedures
1 Heat oven to 375°F. Separate crescent dough into 16 triangles.
2 Beat butter in small bowl until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until well blended. Beat in milk and vanilla. Add cocoa; beat well. Stir in pecans.
3 Spread slightly heaping teaspoon chocolate mixture on each triangle within 1/2 inch of edges. Roll up; start at shortest side of triangle and roll to opposite point. Press all edges to seal completely. Place point side down on ungreased cookie sheet; curve slightly to form crescents.
4 Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool to room temperature. Drizzle CHOCOLATE GLAZE over top of crescents. 16 crescents.
5 CHOCOLATE GLAZE
6 Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; add cocoa andwater, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Do not boil. Remove from heat; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating with whisk until smooth. Add additional water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency. About 3/4 cup glaze

Rainee at Discuss Cooking

thanks for the bump. I never would have seen this thread otherwise. I'm going to have to make the Chicken Lombardi.

Ditto vyapti! I looooove french toast & the roller coaster breakfast from Kitchenelf via crewsk sounds great. gotta try it tomorrow. . . .

Thanks for bumping this up. I've printed so many from here, but had missed some of the ones mentioned. Thanks a bunch!

I have made this one several times and I just can't get enough of it!!

Pork Chops in Onion Sauce by Kadesma

3-Tab. butter
5-med. onions, sliced thin
1/2-c.whipping cream
1-tea. sugar
1/2-c.a/p flour
4-pork chops 3/4in. thick
3-Tab. evoo (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

Melt butter in large skillet. When melted add onions. Cover and cook on med. heat till pale yellow. Stir in the cream and sugar. Cook about 2 min. longer. Dust the chops with the flour. Heat the evoo in a skillet large enough to hold the 4 chops. Add chops and cook til golden on each side. Then add chops to onion cream mixture, cover skillet, reduce heat and simmer 20 min or so til chops are tender. Season with salt and pepper, place on warm platter and spoon the onion cream sauce over the chops.

A lot of you have already heard me sing the praises of BarbarainNC's version of Bang Bang Shrimp. It is easily my all time favorite from DC -
I make it an average of 3 times a month. DH has taken to calling it "candy from the sea"!

Make the sauce : mix some Mayonnaise, Thai Sweet chili Sauce and Tuong ot Sriracha to taste. Peel 1 pound of shrimp, coat with dry cornstarch. Fry in a deepfat fryer until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Put the shrimp in a bowl and add the sauce, stir and enjoy!!!!! I made this tonight and they tasted like the real thing!!!! I ate the whole pound by myself!!!!! You can buy the sauces at Walmart in the Asian Section.

I now have another recipe to add to many I've picked up here. I tried this one today and I know I'll be using it often as my kids just loved it.
I tried Marmaladys chicken wings that is now posted in the chicken and turkey thread. It is fantastic, it's easy and tasty..Thanks again Marmalady

kadesma:)

Urmanica's Italian pasta...

Quick, easy and tasty pasta idea from Rome! It is called Bucattini Amatriciana, one of the very typical pasta dishes Roma style. You can also substitute bucattini (sort of a long macaroni, or spaghetti with a hole in the middle) with regular spaghetti. It is very simple to prepare and absolutely delicious!!

for 2 people
about 50gs/2oz of bacon, crispily cooked and crumbled
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
1/2 onion, finely chopped or minced
extra virgine olive oil
5 ripe tomatoes, diced (if prefered, peeled) or 1 tin of peeled tomatoes(mush them up in small pieces)
salt
black pepper, or if you like it spicy, red crushed pepper
160g-200g/6-7oz of dry pasta (bucattini or spaghetti)
freshly grated parmigiano, or if available, aged pecorino romano

In a skillet sautè onion and garlic in a sufficient amount of olive oil. When they are well cooked, add the crumbled bacon and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper (or red peper). Bring to boil and cook for several minutes until the flavours are well blended and some of the extra liquid is evaporated.
Meanwhile cook the pasta al dente, and drain
Toss the tomato mixture together with the pasta, serve with plenty of freshly grated cheese.
Buon Appetito!!
1.gif

Last edited:
One of my favorite appetizers is jkath's Jack Daniel's Kielbasa. It is definitely a hit with all the men.

Jack Daniels Kielbasa

1 kielbasa (the real stuff, no turkey, no light....)

Boil in water 20 minutes to get the fat out. Dry on paper towels & cool. Cut into large-ish bite sized pieces.

In a pan, stir 3/4 cup ketchup, 3/4 cup light brown sugar & 1/2 cup Jack Daniels. Cook on low to med-low. When it's bubbly, add kielbasa. Cook, stirring about every minute or two for at least 45 minutes. (you don't want to scortch it) so it cooks down to a nice saucy consistency.

These are great appetizers. However, they are just as good if you make it the day before, keep in the fridge & then heat & serve.

PA Baker said:
Chicken Lombardi
1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
3 to 4 T. all-purpose flour
salt and pepper
3 T. butter
1 C. sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 C. dry Marsala wine
1/3 C. chicken broth
1/3 C. Fontina cheese (if you don't like Fontina use mozzarella)
1/3 C. grated parmesan
1/4 C. thinly sliced green onions

Cut each breast half at center membrane if need be. I personally leave mine whole; I like it when it takes up a lot of space on the plate. Place each piece in a gallon-size zip lock but don't zip; pound with a schnitzel pounder/flat mallet. Coat chicken lightly with salted and peppered flour.

In a large skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with a few splashes of olive oil over medium heat; add half of the chicken pieces. Cook for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Repeat with another 1 tablespoon butter or margarine and the remaining chicken pieces; transfer to dish.

Melt the remaining butter or margarine in the skillet. Add the mushrooms. Brown/caramelize on medium high and stir until tender; add wine, broth and a dash each of salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; boil gently until mixture is reduced to 1/2 cup including mushrooms (about 5 minutes). Pour over chicken.

Combine the two cheeses and green onions; sprinkle over the chicken. Bake uncovered in a 375ºF. oven for 20 minutes.

I made this tonight. It was amazingly good.

I've made this one a few times too and it's wonderfully wonderful!!

Thanks to PABAKER.

Coffee Crème Brulee

4 egg yolks
1 c sugar, divided
1 ½ c heavy cream
1 Tbsp instant coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a medium sized bowl, beat egg yolks and 6 Tbsp sugar with a whisk for about 1 minute or until smooth. Reserve.

In a second medium sized bowl, add coffee and ¼ c cream. Whisk thoroughly until smooth, then add remaining cream and whisk until well blended. Add coffee cream mixture and vanilla to egg yolks. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold together.

Use a ladle to pour mixture into individual ramekins, ¾ of the way to the top.

Place ramekins into a roasting pan. Transfer to oven. Before closing oven door, pour water into pan, but not into the ramekins, until it reaches ½ way up the side of the ramekins.

Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the brulee giggles slightly when you shake the pan. Remove pan from oven and leave out on the counter, allowing the residual heat of the water to finish the cooking process.

When brulees have fully solidified and cooled down, sprinkle 1 ½ Tbsp sugar evenly over the top of each ramekin. Use a small blowtorch to caramelize the sugar, or place ramekins 1” below oven broiler until sugar caramelizes.

Ramekins can also be chilled after they have cooled down if not making immediately.

this was my all time fave. from here at DC THANKS ZEREH

Roasted Asparagus with warm lemon dressing
1 1/2 lb asparagus,woody stems snapped off.
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

LEMON DRESSING:
1/4 c each fresh lemon juice and minced shallots
1 tbsp whole grain mustard
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
1/3 c olive oil
2 hard cooked eggs,finely chopped

heat oven to 400f.

Place asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with oilive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly, spread in one layer.Roast 14-18 minutes, depending on thickness, until tips are lightly browned.

Meanwhile, make dressing: whisk all ingredients except oil in a small bowl.Slowly whisk in oil to blend.

Arrange asparagus on a platter, drizzle with dressing and garnish with eggs.

:heart:
Z

Back
Top Bottom