Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You all know I'm a little crazy for lemon desserts. Well, SO brought home a box of TJ's Meyer Lemon Cookie Thins. They're super crisp and super thin with a great lemon flavor. I had them with milk but these would be great with tea or coffee too.

Reviving this old thread to say our local TJs just moved about a mile farther away into a huge new store that now sells wine and beer. They crossed the border from MA to NH.

Just got back. Bought a couple of bottles of Chuck wine, a sauv. Blanc and a chard for SO to try @$3.49 ea. On SO's recommendation I bought some frozen chicken and chilie verde burritos and some beefsteak and bean burritos. Both are quite good but the chicken and chilie verde burritos are super. Also picked up some veggies and other odds and ends.

I saw tri-tips in the meat case for the first time. I guess I should get one to see what all the fuss is about but I hesitate at a price of $6.99 a pound when the west coast folks get it at a third of the price on sale. They also had flatiron steaks which are uncommon here in the east.

Two-Buck Chuck is now Three and a Half-Buck Chuck. I bought a bottle of each for SO to sample.

It's "Three Buck Chuck" for residents of New Mexico, $2.99/bottle.

I think it's "No Buck Chuck" in Utah, because IIRC there are no Trader Joe's there, and last time I visited they had state operated liquor stores.

Two Buck Chuck is still $1.99 in California and probably will remain that same for the foreseeable future.

Here's an interesting article some of you may enjoy reading:

California's Wine Surprise
ABC World News, July 12, 2007

abc_wn_wine2_070712_ms.jpg

The connoisseurs may cringe, the snobs may even sob, but the judges have spoken: California's best chardonnay costs less than $3.

Charles Shaw Chardonnay, better known as "Two Buck Chuck," beat hundreds of other wines and was named the top prize in a prestigious tasting competition in California.

"The characteristics that we look for in our gold medal winner … a nice creamy butter, fruity … it was a delight to taste," said 2007 California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition judge Michael Williams.

The affordable wine beat out 350 other California chardonnays to win the double gold. Second place went to an $18 bottle, and the most expensive wines at the event, at the price of $55, didn't even medal.

To find this prize winner, you need not go to a fancy wine shop or elite retailer. Charles Shaw Chardonnay is mass-produced in California and only sold through the quirky Trader Joe's grocery stores.

... (read the full story here)

So don't anybody nay-say this wine without at least considering giving it a taste. It's not the best wine I've had, not even close, but it's surprisingly good considering the price.

Two Buck Chuck is $2.99 here in NC. Seems that the further you get from CA, the more it goes up, which makes sense considering the shipping cost.

SO had the Sauvignon Blanc tonight and said it was OK. It tasted like a house wine at a casual restaurant. I asked her if she'd make it her new standard wine and she wasn't sure yet.

I used to buy flatiron steaks from TJ's but their's were always marinated. Then I started seeing them at our local grocery chain, plain, and stated getting those instead, as I prefer to season them myself. I was never too crazy about TJ's marinated meats, and that included tri-tips. They never sold them plain, non-marinated.

I used to buy flatiron steaks from TJ's but their's were always marinated. Then I started seeing them at our local grocery chain, plain, and stated getting those instead, as I prefer to season them myself. I was never too crazy about TJ's marinated meats, and that included tri-tips. They never sold them plain, non-marinated.

Thanks for mentioning that. I hadn't noticed if they were marinated. I'll be sure to check next time.

Yay, a Trader Joe's thread! :) Some of the things I love and always have on hand, and I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of right now...

Island Soyaki marinade :ohmy: :yum:
Romano Caesar salad dressing
Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar
Sunflower Seed Butter
Meyer Lemon cookies
Olive hummus
Two Buck Chuck :)

I'm not usually a big fan of prepackaged frozen foods, but I love their Stacked Eggplant Parmesan, Orange Chicken, and Cheese Enchiladas.

We don't have a TJ's here in my town, but my daughter has one near her home - I stock up whenever I'm down visiting her.

I love the soyaki too, I use it as a marinade and stir fry sauce.

Their sweet potato fries are the best that I've tried!

Oh I forgot about their sweet potato fries! Yes, they are so good - I love them sprinkled with a little cinnamon right out of the oven. Need to add them to my TJ's shopping list. :)

Picked up several new (to us) items at TJ's over the last several visits:

salt and pepper rice chips
salt and vinegar potato chips
turbinado sugar
spicy asian peanut dressing
freeze dried strawberries
dark chocolate covered edemamee
dark chocolate covered pomegarnate seeds

all were a hit.

There are several other items but they slip my mind at the moment.

I've enjoyed many of their convenience (microwave) dinners but find that due to my current cooking options being limited I tend to rely too much on microwave dinners, and I get tired of the TJ's dinners after a few weeks or months.

Currently in favor:

TJ's Beef Stroganoff (with pasta, pearl onions and mushrooms)
TJ's Greek Style Chicken (with orzo, spinach and feta cheese)
TJ's Pork Masitas (marinated roast pork, black beans, rice, sweet plantains) (frozen)

Unfortunately they usually serve 2-3 so I often throw away part, not wanting reheated microwave food any time soon after. Would be better if serving for more than one person. I wish they'd come out with single serving sizes.

The closest TJ's opened early this year; so far I only made one trip down -- 30 miles -- to scope it out, so don't have favorites as such yet. I did get some dark chocolate that was very good, a bag of walnut meats (stored in my freezer) that have been good in several batches of cookies, and other things I have now forgotten. I did like a bag of snacks called "Snapea Crisps" well enough to keep the bag for reference. Reading back from the beginning of the thread, I now have a list of others' favorites to try out (if they're still offered). All I need is for gas prices to go back down and to remember to take my list and a cooler.

We had a TJ's open up on Staten Island recently. We haven't been for a couple of months. Have to go again. They have some great salad stuff and has anyone tried their spinach and kale dip? One of the best dips I've ever tasted. I'm going to have to get a jar of their lemon curd after reading about it a while back.

Back
Top Bottom