Favorite Item from Trader Joe's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh yeahhhhhh, I forgot about the lemon curd.......delicious with a little mound on a cookie, or on a cream cheese slathered bagel with lemon curd on the top. Geeze, what happened to my diet?

I also forgot to mention their frozen little Pork Shu Mai Asian dumplings...
just delicious on their own, or to round out a stir fry dinner.

I definitely am making a shopping list from this thread for my next trip to TJ's!!

Thanks kayelle...i was just getting ready to ask what everyone is doing with their Lemon Curd. I vaguely remember a country neighbor giving me her homemade lemon curd many moons ago and I didn't know what to do with it but tasted yummyyummy. I think I put it on toast or some boring thing like that.

I've had their Pork Shu Mai Dumplings (store tasting sample) and yes, very very good! But I opted to buy their Chicken Shu Mai...don't get that...it didn't taste like anything but ginger. The pork one is 100% better...excellent.

I had their Thai Shrimp with Green Curry & Jasmine Rice ($2.99) today for lunch. Excellent! I can't take that much heat but for most people this is delicious! Well, it was delicious for me too...in a small quantity. Also of note: I added a teensy water to the jasmine rice while heating it up to insure moistness...but it may have been fine without my help.

It's enough for two people (although it says one). Ingredients (right off the label in order) are jasmine rice, coconut milk, green curry paste, shallots lemongrass, coriander, root chili, garlic, galangal, shrimp paste, thai lime, coriander seed, fennel seed, salt, tumeric powder, anchovy, palm sugar, thai lime leaf, sweet basil leaf, shrimp, and wedges of pea eggplant. ...phew, that's a lot but all works together beautifully! Nothing else added.

Last edited:
Tarte d'Alsace report.

I went to TJ's Friday for something to do and bought this tarte and the mushroom one. We hat the tarte d'Alsace this afternoon with cocktails and it was delicious. Really very good. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Glad you liked it, Andy.
Kayelle, I bought some Orange Chicken as you suggested. I can't wait to try it!

WOW...I just served Trader Joe's French Country Potatoes with Haricots Verts & Wild Mushrooms with scrambled eggs, melon, and hot coffee for breakfast...and it was unbelievably delicious! You get a 16 oz. bag for 2.99...good deal! I heated them in the frying pan with some olive oil but you can microwave them if you want. Serve them for breakfast or with meats...anytime!

Ingredients:
Pre-fried Potatoes (sliced and taste fresh!), Mushrooms (button, boletus, chantrelle), Green Beans, Sauce (sunflower oil, garlic, salt, vegetable broth made with carrots onions leeks water and spices), wheat dextrose, Parsley, Onions, Pepper, and Paprika.

Last edited:
Never been to Trader Joes, we do not have one here. Wish we did, have heard a lot about them.

I view TJs as a specialty store. They have too high a percentage of prepared/frozen foods for it to be my primary supplier of weekly groceries. The quality of their products has been very good with the things I've tried so far. Picking up an occasional tarte, lemon curd or bag of trail mix or other treat is probably the extent of my shopping.

On the other hand, my younger daughter shops their as her primary source and loves it.

Just my opinion.

I just recently discovered Trader Joe's (the store is new to our area) so I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm finding that their frozen foods can't be compared to that of our Harris Teeter grocery store. I won't buy a frozen dinner from a regular grocery store...well, except one, Michaelangelo's Eggplant Parmigan (better than any restaurant's).

Our Trader Joe's only has one aisle of frozen foods (and that includes icecream, desserts, veggies, breakfast and dinner items, etc...all below the waist...not in tall freezers). There are some prepared refrigerated items along the wall in the deli section. But then that's it. Their prices, in some cases, are lower than if I tried to prepare it myself.

I bought a super flavorful Organic Woodfired Sicilian Roasted Red Pepper Pizza with Provolone & Pearl Mozzarella Cheese (wheat crust) for $4 that is big enough to serve three (10" diameter). It comes with a packet of Roasted Red Pepper Infused Olive Oil to drizzle on yourself in desired amount since it has a kick to it. I bet you can't get a burger and fries for that amount at McDonalds...and that only feeds one!
(ps...you can always add more roasted veggies to it too)

They don't have paper goods, cleaning products, etc etc so i can't use it as a primary grocery store

Last edited:
I have my list all ready to visit TJ's today!!

Mollyann, this isn't really food related (well, maybe it is) but you have to try "Kiss My Face" peaches and cream moisturizer. It has a really lovely fresh peach scent and it promotes kisses, which can't be a bad thing. :wub:

:heart::kiss::heart: :in_love::wub: :angel:
...thank you for that tip, GF!
Do they sell it in BULK supply?
haha..."Kiss My Face"
I could use a dab on my neck, my shoulder,
oh, and the back of my hand...don't you
just melt when a man holds your fingertips
and kisses the back of your hand? Well,
okay, that's only in the movies...:LOL:
Did you see the restaurant scene with
Johnny Depp in in the beginning of the
movie called Don Juan de Marco?
Check it out (rated PG)...;)

Last edited:
I just recently discovered Trader Joe's (the store is new to our area) so I'm like a kid in a candy store. I'm finding that their frozen foods can't be compared to that of our Harris Teeter grocery store. I won't buy a frozen dinner from a regular grocery store...well, except one, Michaelangelo's Eggplant Parmigan (better than any restaurant's).

Our Trader Joe's only has one aisle of frozen foods (and that includes icecream, desserts, veggies, breakfast and dinner items, etc...all below the waist...not in tall freezers). There are some prepared refrigerated items along the wall in the deli section. But then that's it. Their prices, in some cases, are lower than if I tried to prepare it myself.

I bought a super flavorful Organic Woodfired Sicilian Roasted Red Pepper Pizza with Provolone & Pearl Mozzarella Cheese (wheat crust) for $4 that is big enough to serve three (10" diameter). It comes with a packet of Roasted Red Pepper Infused Olive Oil to drizzle on yourself in desired amount since it has a kick to it. I bet you can't get a burger and fries for that amount at McDonalds...and that only feeds one!
(ps...you can always add more roasted veggies to it too)

They don't have paper goods, cleaning products, etc etc so i can't use it as a primary grocery store

I completely agree, I don't usually buy any frozen food other than plain frozen veg, but the stuff that I have tried at trader joe's has been far better than anything I have experienced in the grocery store. I was reluctant to try TJs stuff, but have been surprised every time.

I have Trader Joe's near me and have for years. My issue with them - underparked for starters. Too many prepared, pre-packaged etc. Also don't think their fish and chicken is too fresh. I must cook the chicken within a day or it starts to turn. I no longer buy it. Having said my griefs I do like some of the items already posted here. Don't go but every other month or so.

Corrections to my posts above:
...my typo of "parmegan" should have been "parmesan" but another way to spell it is "parmegiani" or "parmegiano"
...the sicilian roasted red pepper pizza is 4.99 (not $4 i mentioned earlier). I added slices of fresh avocado after it was cooked

I just tasted, for the first time, Trader Joe's Roasted Corn (frozen kernels...2.49 for a 1 lb bag) and it's a winner!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've never seen it sold "roasted" in regular grocery stores. Did I just miss it somehow? What a great idea and awesome flavor!

It has no additives nor preservatives and is roasted over an open flame and then flash frozen. No sodium in 2/3C. No cholesterol. No saturated fat nor transfats. But carbs are 19g and sugar is 7g. Protein is 3g.

You can use it in salsa, soup, stew, pizza, and mexican entrees.

Just let me say, that whoever reminded me of TJ's Lemon Curd, I'm putting a hex on you.:devilish: I'm not going to scroll up, because I don't want to know, and hold it against you. :angry: That stuff spread on white chocolate macadamia nut cookies should be against the LAW. :shock:

With all this TJ talk I'll stop by tonight on my way home from work. For me, that's the best time to shop, 15 minutes before closing, as the parking lot is not as full. What should I buy?

Just let me say, that whoever reminded me of TJ's Lemon Curd, I'm putting a hex on you.:devilish: I'm not going to scroll up, because I don't want to know, and hold it against you. :angry: That stuff spread on white chocolate macadamia nut cookies should be against the LAW. :shock:

I stir my lemon (or lime or tangerine or grapefruit) curd into plain yogurt and eat for breakfast. I don't have a Trader Joe's near here, so I HAVE to make my own curds...woe is me!:ROFLMAO:

This thread inspired a trip to TJ's tonight.

The haul:
Carrot cake muffins with frosting(eating one now-yummy!)Like homemade!
roasted corn frozen
tandoori naan
the mushroom tarte(couldn't find the D'Alsace)
pork shu mai
scicilian pizza
mandarin chicken
super seeded chips (flax,hemp etc) Awesome! had them before.
crushers
port wines
sweet potato fries
pork gyoza

they were tasting their clam chowder but it way salty at 600mg soduim 26%.I tasted but passed.Too salty!

Those look scrumptious, 4meandthem. What are crushers? What is pork gyoza?

Have you tried their Charles Shaw Wine (aka 2BuckChuck which is now 2.99)? What does everyone think of the taste? I say...Good wine...Great value! I didn't buy any at first because they don't carry Pinot Noir but I finally broke down and purchased their Merlot and Shiraz...not bad...pretty good really...almost excellent actually. I saw a taste test done like 5 years ago on NBC's Today Show where they blindfolded 3 people and had them taste 2 very expensive wines and then Trader Joe's Charles Shaw Wine...you guess it, they all picked Charles Shaw as the best.

I also highly recommend their personal sized Spinach Mushroom Quiche and Mexican Quiche (1.89 each) that are great to take to work and microwave. Makes for an inexpensive lunch!

Gyoza is the japanese word for potstickers.

Crushers are individual servings of apple/carrot puree in a pouch with a built in straw.Like a space food pouch.
They are convienant for small children. We keep a few in the diaper bag.

I used to make a special trip there just to get the dark chocolate covered espresso beans. But now they won't let me drive much due to the constant shaking. ;-b

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom