Favorite Meats Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooh... how do you make your tasso?

I use boneless pork butt, sliced in 3/4" sections crosswise. I use the spice rub from Emeril's "Louisiana Real and Rustic" cookbook, pressed hard into the pork slices and cure for a week. Then the slices get smoked @ 225F until done using pecan splits on the Egg or Horizon offset. They get vacuum packed in portion size servings and frozen.

I'm switching sides, too, Kayelle. Chicken bacon ain't a thing in my kitchen if it's a thing at all. [emoji38] Besides, pork is the other white meat, so I can make any of my chicken dishes with pork.

Last edited:
I use boneless pork butt … spice rub from Emeril's "Louisiana Real and Rustic" cookbook, pressed hard into the pork slices and cure for a week. Then the slices get smoked @ 225F

Sounds great… but alas I have no smoker, and never tried smoking on my gas grill (not sure it can maintain that low a temp). I usually order from Magic Seasoning Blends for one of my favorite pasta dishes (Paul Prudhomme's Tasso and Oysters Cream Fettuccine). Can't get fresh oysters up here either, but can sometimes get little neck clams which I substitute.

When I lived in L.A., Paul had a restaurant where I often ordered this along with the jalapeño cheese rolls… yum!

Oh the things I miss from the So. Cal. days.

Pork...because, BACON. I love cooking with pork, it is well represented in all cuisines.

YES, YES, YES, BACON, BACON, BACON

and let's not forget

BBQ RIBS!!!!!!!!!!

(sorry seafood -sob,sob)

I also would miss chicken wings fixed so many different ways.

Last edited:
I would set up a co-op where everyone could trade their one protein choice with people who chose a different protein. We are called omnivores for a reason!

My contention is, that if we weren't meant to eat meat, we wouln't have evolved the dentition for it.

If I were still a hunter and gatherer, I'd aim my spear at was currently available at the moment.

But if I really, REALLY had to choose - I'd pick pork.

Most likely beef, with pork a close second. That's what most of my recipes call for. Never was a big chicken or seafood fan.

Back
Top Bottom