Favorite Meats Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
OK, I have a lot of time on my hands. So my mind is all over the place.

Here's a question for all you omnivores.

If you had to choose only one meat as your only meat to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be? Include for consideration: meats, poultry, seafood and any others you prefer.

Offer us a little explanation to explain your choice.

I am not sure I understand your question. You use the term "meat", but ask us to consider other proteins as well. So are you asking for a single protein we would consider a life long choice?

If so, I think versatility would be king. While I love seafood, beef may be my choice here. While I am not a steak eater, I love ground beef in burgers, meatballs, chili, pasta sauce, pasta filling, pies... and shredded beef in tacos and other Mexican food, etc., and I can't think of a single seafood protein that would span such a range.

I would definitely choose seafood. Scallops would be number one, followed by shrimp, crab, lobster, halibut, cod, grouper, salmon, trout etc. in no particular order. I could live on seafood and veggies. When we go out, I almost always order seafood in some form.

If they took seafood off the menu, I'd turn to poultry, more specifically chicken or duck.

Pork is a close third. Beef is at the bottom of my list. I cook it, because well, family, but I never order it, and would never cook it for just myself.

I am not sure I understand your question. You use the term "meat", but ask us to consider other proteins as well. So are you asking for a single protein we would consider a life long choice?...

I consciously did not choose the word protein as it can be ambiguous. Perhaps I should have said animal-based protein.

Though I love seafood, it's a treat, not something I eat frequently, due to the prices. Poultry is what I have more of in my freezer than any other. Pork used to be my favorite, but the pork in most stores just doesn't do it for me, maybe because they are watering it down (same with some chicken, but I just make sure I'm not getting that). I prefer the thighs, and often use ground thighs in Oriental dishes calling for ground pork, and I make a chorizo like mix, using that, as well. I used to get really good pork over at a butcher in the Italian Market, but I haven't been over there in a long time.

I often go many days in a row without meat, especially in the summer, when I have large amounts of fresh vegetables from the garden.

Last edited:
For me, it would be pork. Pork is probably the meat we most often cook with. I agree about a lot of pork tasting watered down, and it's often too lean. We have found some sources of local pork that are very tasty. At one farm, they let the hogs forage acorns and wild foods. Pork is really versatile: chops, roasts, bacon, ground pork for all sorts of stuff, ...

Here's a question for all you omnivores.

If you had to choose only one meat as your only meat to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Trying to follow directions, if I could have only one choice I guess it would be chicken although I sure wouldn't be happy about it. Oh, but I can't stand ground chicken EVER. I really like pork, beef steak, and seafood too.
Now I've almost changed my mind about the chicken. Sheesh...

Kayelle, you might want to rethink this. If you don't pick beef, you won't be able to make those beautiful tri-tips on Wilma.

Chicken here, although I would miss scallops and shrimp. Chicken is probably the protein I find to be most versatile for what I tend to cook.

I like your chicken-lobster remark, jenny!

For me it would be Beef. Mainly for the range it has in cuisine.

There is beef bacon

Corned Beef can be made into Pastrami Much like Ham

Steaks

Ground beef

eye of round prepped as Roast Beef

can be ground seasoned and stuffed as sausage....and then smoked

can be rendered into jerky

dried sliced thin "chipped beef" for SOS and toast

and don't forget beef with veggies as Skish Kabob

Ribs smoked BBQ

I'd still miss the Pork, Fowl, and Fish....but the Beef would likely sustain me the best if it were the only source of meat I would have.

That sounds kinda like some sort of GMO. :LOL:

Probably chicken, for me, mainly because of its versatility, but also because I'm cheap.

See, that's one of the points in favour of pork for me. DH only likes white meat with chicken, well, with any poultry. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts cost almost twice as much per kilo as boneless pork.

Today isn't the first time I've thought about this. As I am a confirmed carnivore who loves pretty much all meats, this decision was difficult.

There aren't many things I like as much as a great steak, or roast chicken or shrimp cocktail but I have to go with pork because BACON.

...and

ham
prosciutto
roast pork
pulled pork
carnitas
al pastor
pork dumplings

you get the idea.

I believe pork is the most versatile meat. Just my opinion.

Today isn't the first time I've thought about this. As I am a confirmed carnivore who loves pretty much all meats, this decision was difficult.

There aren't many things I like as much as a great steak, or roast chicken or shrimp cocktail but I have to go with pork because BACON.

...and

ham
prosciutto
roast pork
pulled pork
carnitas
al pastor
pork dumplings

you get the idea.

I believe pork is the most versatile meat. Just my opinion.
I agree - pork would be my choice, too. And you didn't mention ground pork, so we can also have various flavors of meatballs, and fresh or smoked sausages. So many choices :yum:

Pork for me, as it is vary versatile and well represented in many cuisines I love. Cajun/Creole, Mexican, Cuban and true "Q". Love a great Porchetta done on the rotisserie over hardwood charcoal. Don't think I could survive with out our homemade andouille and tasso.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom