Favorite summer meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennyema

Chef Extraordinaire
Lobster! Especially on the Cape or in Maine

2ezs5cw.jpg

Definitely lobster on the Cape is on that list.

Lots of grilled foods, smoked meats, potato and pasta salads, corn on the cob, many more tossed salads in the summer.

When it gets hot I like the old fashioned picnic foods like cold sliced ham, fried chicken or thin slices of cold meatloaf with a potato salad, deviled eggs, cucumber and onion or tomato salad and some great bread or rolls, washed down with a big pitcher of unsweetened iced tea. For dessert some walnut studded brownies and an ice cold watermelon wouldn't hurt! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Watermelon, peaches, any fresh summer fruits.
Vine ripe tomatoes, grilled corn on the cob, grilled zukes, other veggies
Salads, tabbouli, BLT sandwiches
Home made lemonade
Grilling things, I think Brats and Spare ribs are my faves.

When it gets hot I like the old fashioned picnic foods like cold sliced ham, fried chicken or thin slices of cold meatloaf with a potato salad, deviled eggs, cucumber and onion or tomato salad and some great bread or rolls, washed down with a big pitcher of unsweetened iced tea. For dessert some walnut studded brownies and an ice cold watermelon wouldn't hurt! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

THIS. ^ I couldn't have worded it more perfectly for my summer tastes. Well, except for a lot of grillin'. :chef::yum: I also love unsweetened iced tea - fresh lemon slices will do just fine, thank you. :LOL:

Linguine with tomato, basil, garlic ( all fresh from the garden) and olive oil ( sometimes mozzarella cheese), served with garlic toast ( to scoop up all the tomatoes at the bottom of the bowl, like Bruschetta.

Kabobs grilled on the Weber Kettle. I do steak and shrooms on one set of skewers, and veggies and more onions on separate skewers, so they can each cook at their own rate. When they are done, slide them into bowls and chow down.

CD

I tend to do a lot less planning around summer meals. What often ends up happening is I'll go to the farmers market and buy something, and then figure out what to do with it after I get home.

I tend to do a lot less planning around summer meals. What often ends up happening is I'll go to the farmers market and buy something, and then figure out what to do with it after I get home.

A combo of that and whatever available in the garden kinda dictate what ill be cooking / eating over the next few months.

But I love that, cause always keeps me on my toes. Its like a constant "chopped" episode.

Ditto, most often my fresh veg dictates what meat I purchase. And cold chopped salads are always on the menu.

Jenny,

Lovely lovely post ..

My Summer Selections Are:

All shellfish in season, Ceviche, Nigriri, Sashimi, Seafood Salads of all types, Gazpacho, Dolmades, Calamari & Squid ( in season all summer ) and preference to cold.

Tuna fish salad, Egg salad, shrimp salad, Lobster salad, and Shrimp on Skewers with assorted vegetables ( zucchini & tomato; tomatoes are a fruit but we use it as a veggie).

Have a wonderful summer.

I keep it real light.

All sorts of salads. I will boil up a dozen eggs at a shot and put them in the fridge and use them one or two at a time in a salad. Always have cucumbers & tomatoes in the house. Mom also likes to put pickled beets in her salads. We also have croutons and sunflower seeds in ours. For desserts, cantaloupes and watermelons and whatever fresh berries are available. Once a week I'll broil up some rib eyes, chicken breasts, or pork chops and nosh on them during the week. Of course, our breakfasts stay essentially the same.

We're big on cold foods and grilled foods. Beside the usual meat, fish, and tubular foods on the grill, we love grilled veggies: corn, zucchini, onions, tomatoes, romaine lettuce...on and on. Don't forget fruits like watermelon or pineapple, either.

I also like to make dinner salads - those that have protein of some sort as part of it. Also, I'm completely taken by the fact that Himself loves Panzanella! When tomatoes are in season and peppers are on sale, it's what's for dinner. I'm thinking it's the fresh-made croutons. ;)

I just can't get with the love affair for lobster. I guess it's a native-born thing...

Back
Top Bottom