Favorite vinegar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find balsamic to be a joy on ice cream (it works startlingly well on chocolate ice cream) and poached peaches. I also make a stir-fry that involves balsamic and pears (I'm one of those folks who loves fruit in savory dishes).

Thank-you for the link Michael, it was fun to read a little about the history of the company and the jounrey of balsamic vinegar in general :)

this is from Stephanie Alexander's Cooks Companion re:balsamic

'...it commences with unfermented trebbiano grame juice (must), which is boiled down before the fermentation process begins. It is during this process that some of the caramel flavours that are characteristic of this vinegar are produced. The concentrated grape juice is allowed to ferment in barrels and the alcohol converts slowly to acetic acid. The young vinegar is transferred from one wooden barrel to a smaller wooden barrel over a period of years and gains complexity of flavour from the various barrels. The wood for the barrels many include chestnut, oak, mulberry, juniper and other timbers. The process last someone between 5 and 30 years. The original bulk of the grape is vastly reduced to a powerful, slightly swekkt and syrupy essence at the completion of the process. The very finest balsamic vinegars are considered as precious as the best liqueurs and are very powerful. They are also very costly.'

Hope this is helpful...

ICadvisor said:
I find balsamic to be a joy on ice cream (it works startlingly well on chocolate ice cream) and poached peaches. I also make a stir-fry that involves balsamic and pears (I'm one of those folks who loves fruit in savory dishes).

Thank-you for the link Michael, it was fun to read a little about the history of the company and the jounrey of balsamic vinegar in general :)

If you like regular balsamic on ice cream then you should try reducing it to make a thick syrup and then drizzling that on. A balsamic reduction on vanilla ice cream is so simple, yet so delicious.

If you like regular balsamic on ice cream then you should try reducing it to make a thick syrup and then drizzling that on. A balsamic reduction on vanilla ice cream is so simple, yet so delicious.

Indeed, I've done this often with a little cinnamon added to the balsamic.

I like just about every kind of vinegar........one that ya'll might not be familar with is basically an icewine vinegar from Canada called minus 8 vinegar.

Check it out www.minus8vinegar.com

jennyema said:
What does it taste like?

Sweet and complex like a balsamic.I actually prefer the minus 8
unless we're talking a good 50 year old balsamic,even then
it would be a toss up.The earliest vintage is a 97' and the maker keeps vinegars of each year......that's what minus 8
is a blend of different years.It's not cheap,but when compared to a good authentic balsamic it appears to be a bargain IMO.
The taste is generally attributed to cold fermentation as opposed to evaporation like balsamic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom