Favorite Way to Make Poutine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had poutine near Riviere-du-Loup or possibly in Riviere-du-Loup for the first time in about 1980. It hadn't really gotten to Montreal yet. They had regular poutine and "Poutine Italienne" - with "sauce spaghetti".

Thanks CWS, for a timely idea. My next big cook-up will be with The Kid at Thanksgiving, and I've been giving some thought about what to do with the leftovers. I'd thought of poutine as a way to use up some of the turkey gravy, but getting curds is always an issue. There are plenty of sources on Amazon, but the shipping usually costs more than the curds, and God knows how long they have been sitting in those plastic bags! I think that I'll do a trial run with the blue cheese, which i know that The Kid and the rest of the family like, and see how it goes.
Fresh mozz. can be used as well (some places grate it). True poutine uses curds, but I've used other kinds of cheeses.

What kind of potato are you all using. I know they aren't using russets in NE Canada. Mainestays were what we had locally in Maine. Kinds in between a Yukon and Russet if i remember.

I used Norlands (which are a red potato) this time. I also use Kennebecs. The ones I use are from the garden and are so much better than the potatoes one buys at the store. I haven't dug and dried the potatoes yet--I just dig up a few potatoes every time I go to the farm. We'll dig the rest of the potatoes over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and let them cure for a week or so before we put them into storage. Just ask TL what she thought of the potatoes from the garden that I shared with her!

I used Norlands (which are a red potato) this time. I also use Kennebecs. The ones I use are from the garden and are so much better than the potatoes one buys at the store. I haven't dug and dried the potatoes yet--I just dig up a few potatoes every time I go to the farm. We'll dig the rest of the potatoes over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and let them cure for a week or so before we put them into storage. Just ask TL what she thought of the potatoes from the garden that I shared with her!
Fabulous.

I used mozzarella at my restaurant to keep the price down. If you freeze the mozzarella, once thawed, it will break up into curd like pieces. Try it.
I like raw, chopped Spanish onion on my poutine. And, take the top off of the pepper shaker and let 'er rip!

I used mozzarella at my restaurant to keep the price down. If you freeze the mozzarella, once thawed, it will break up into curd like pieces. Try it.
I like raw, chopped Spanish onion on my poutine. And, take the top off of the pepper shaker and let 'er rip!
+1 I add chopped jalepeno (fresh) pepper as well and a splash of apple cider vinegar 1/2 way up.

I absolutely love poutine, as a once in a while treat. I have had really amazing poutine in Quebec and Ontario. There are a couple of shops that just opened up, one called "How Do You Like Your Poutine" and while some of their selections are too salty, they do have MANY MANY selections for toppings of your poutine including pulled pork, taco stuff, different gravies, etc. My favorite is a pure tomato meat sauce (not spaghetti sauce, that stuff has other things added) with lots of cheesy curds and home cut fries.

When I have poutine with gravy and curd, I ADD KETCHUP.. tons of it.

Here is the menu for a "poutinerie" with tons of ideas to make your own at home! Navigate on the left hand side.
http://smokespoutinerie.com/Menu.aspx

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom