Fig Vinegar - any ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recipedirect

Senior Cook
I bought some fig vinegar and have not had much success experimenting with it. I tried making a vinaigrette and was not impressed with my efforts. Any ideas?

Liz

Was your vinaigrette something like this?

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup fig vinegar
1/4 cup honey, such as manuka, leatherwood or tarrasaco

You might also try
Fig Vinegar and Olive Oil over Blue Cheese, Watercress and Pear Salad.

I did not think of honey. Great idea. The salad sounds pretty good too. Tonight it will be Romaine with feta and apples and red onions with your vinaigrette. (Have to make due with what I have) Maybe some pine nuts on top.

Liz

I bet if you mixed it with honey or a little brown sugar, it would make a nice glaze for a roast chicken or a pork loin.

I would take some premade pizza dough (like pilsbury) and top it with olive oil,garlic,ground pepper and some fresh mozarella-bake. Top cooked "pizza" with arrugala, and strips of proscutto and a healthy drizzle of the fig balsamic.

Makes me wish I had fig balsamic vinegar.

Also, I bet if you reduced a bit of the vinegar in a saucepan and drizzled it on some grilled figs and french vanilla ice cream...you would be in heaven!

I tried mixing it with honey as McNerd suggested and it was pretty good. It is surprising at how stong the Fig Vinegar is or maybe it is just the brand. I am going to try using it as a glaze. Thanks guys.

I buy fig vinegar all the time. I make a garden salad and drizzle some of the vinegar on and then drizzle some oil on. My wife can't get enough of it.

Fig balsamic vinegar is a type of fig vinegar, but all fig vinegars are not fig balsamic vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom