First impressions...Christmas turducken!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firpo

Assistant Cook
Since I've heard so much about turducken I decided to have one for this Christmas dinner.
I ordered one online and after thawing and cooking per instructions we had a nice dinner. We thought it was OK but I had a question about the overall taste of this product.
I'm not sure if I've ever encountered this flavor when cooking duck breasts...skillet frying gives nice crispy skin and delicious meat with only salt and pepper for seasoning. When I made my way through to the duck part of the turducken I detected a taste more like liver than the duck breast I was expecting.
Did I have unreal expectations or was this liver taste unusual in the experience of the rest of you who have eaten turducken? I mean, I wasn't wholly disappointed but I truly didn't expect the liver taste at all.
Let me know if I'm off base or if this particular product was.
Thanks for any input you can offer.
firpo
DCnewbie

welcome firpo ;o)

I have no idea about turducken, but I think it's maybe the way teh duck was raised/feeded...
You don't roast the duck first to get that roast flavor...

Hi all...

With regard to roasting the duck first...from what I hear this is all fresh meat.
The dressing/stuffing was andouile/cornbread/celery et al. Very tasty itself but no hint of gizzard or livers in the dressing.
Eating leftovers for the last couple days I discovered that the duck portion was actually pressed parts. It definitely had a liver aspect to it and I didn't catch it on the first day...you know...covered with gravy and many other flavors going on at the same time.
LeeAnn...never heard of turducken, eh? I have spent some time in the south and it's been made more visible of late with the Food Network guys like Emeril and Paula Deen. Turducken is...a mostly deboned turkey (except legs and wings), stuffed with a deboned duck, stuffed with a deboned chicken with layers of your favorite dressing/stuffing between each and under the whole thing. It's turned over and laced up so that when one turns it right-side up again, it looks like a somewhat flattened turkey. No bone structure to hold it upright so it sits kind of squat. It's usually spiced with cajun blends but I've seen it advertised with only salt and pepper too, so...
Hey, as I learn more from outside resources or gain more individual experience with this I'll pass it along.
Thanks for all your responses...I do appreciate your effort.
firpo

I just wanted to jump in and welcome you... but I have never had turducken myself, so I'm not much help! :)

Back
Top Bottom