Five Types of Mushrooms: What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt Kay

Assistant Cook
Here's the jist:

I entered a contest to cook with dried mushrooms. I had no idea what mushrooms I'd get. The box came today and I have Matsutake, Lobster, Black Trumpet, Chanterelle and Porcinis. Probably about two ounces of each.

Reconstituting the mushrooms is the easy part - the sticking point is that I'm not sure how well these mushrooms will go together. I don't want their flavors to stomp on each other.

I have to design a recipe that will "showcase" the mushrooms. I'm not sure if I should do several recipes as a menu or if I should do something like a pizza with some really fun cheese and some herbs.

Any ideas on what to look out for when combining these?

Thanks guys & gals!

What about a trio of small pizzas showcasing the different shrooms. The chanterelles and porcini would work nice with egg and smoked salmon and maybe a smoked gouda and shallot. The Matsutake I would use with rare beef spinach and and a miso sauce. The lobster and black trumpet with shrimp and cilantro and a hoisin sauce.

Or maybe an omelette or gallete trio

Or maybe a stuffed chicken breast with the Chanterelle and Porcinis and then use the others in a gravy or sauce to accompany.

I love the idea of doing a trio of something. I think beef, matsutake and miso will go really well together.

I also love the idea of shellfish with cilantro and mushrooms. Maybe a surf,turf and sky trio. :D

You left me with some really good ideas to play with.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom