Flaked Almonds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I am having difficulty getting flaked almonds for cooking with. Morrisons (York) have been out of stock for 3 weeks. Is there a national shortage?

?????

What do you expect from flakes?
???
I think that was just a joke. Flakes, flaky people, flakes...they are flaky. Nonsensical and illogical.

Do you mean sliced almonds? I personally have never seen flaky almonds, just whole, sliced, blanched, and ground. There is also a product that is 'almond flour' which is similar and not the same as 'ground almonds', though I couldn't tell you the difference.

The sliced almonds I've seen are generally sliced with the peel on. The edges are brown, the slices are white. Is this what you mean?

I think that was just a joke. Flakes, flaky people, flakes...they are flaky. Nonsensical and illogical.

Do you mean sliced almonds? I personally have never seen flaky almonds, just whole, sliced, blanched, and ground. There is also a product that is 'almond flour' which is similar and not the same as 'ground almonds', though I couldn't tell you the difference.

The sliced almonds I've seen are generally sliced with the peel on. The edges are brown, the slices are white. Is this what you mean?

Don't forget slivered!:) I think the OP means the very thinly sliced (skin on) that probably could be considered "flaky". Being in the USA or Canada, we are pretty much useless about finding them in the UK.

Last edited:
Don't forget slivered!:) I think the OP means the very thinly sliced (skin on) that probably could be considered "flaky".
I did forget slivered! small sections, without skin, shaped in wedges or slices.

At this moment in time I don't have the foggiest idea. Have'nt been resident there for many years now. My only guess is - given that almond trees were once, back in history, a big feature in British cookery. Could be climate change, could be some kind of bug - how do I know? I'm not a wizard, I've lived in Italy for many years now, and this is the first time I've heard of this.....I know that in the UK there's no shortage of the packaged goods. For all I know, they come from China! I'm afraid I can't help on this one!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom