"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 12:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2
Flat Skewer Technique - Kofte/Kofta?

Don't think this really falls into the 'Beef' or 'Ethnic' Category as it's more about a technique then a food itself. If I've posted in the wrong section I apologise.

Here we go:

Could anyone enlighten me about the proper technique for 'mounting' kofte/kofta (mince mixed with onions and spices and so forth) onto FLAT skewers such as they are done in turkish/middle-eastern resturants/kebab houses?

It seems to be done in a uniform way in every kebab house I've ever seen in London (and there are plenty) and also in Istanbul (where they are many more);

The mince mix is formed onto or skewered onto the long, flat steel skewers in a nearly rectangluar shape with ridges on one 'side'

The end result is not just asthetically pleasing but prevents the meat from slipping off the skewers when cooked over a grateless grill, so I'd really love to know how this is done.

Anyone offer any help? Greatly appreciated! :?:

grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
mudbug's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NoVA, beyond the Beltway
Posts: 11,166
Bienvenu, grapejuice. don't have a clue if this thread will help, but it's the only one I can think of that remotely covers what you are asking about

Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 2
not quite what I was after, but in the same neighbourhood, thanks!

the type of skewers and kebabs i'm enquiring about are the 'other' kind of kebab found in restuarants that feature the doner rotating spits.

kofte and kofta are cooked over a grill-less heat source (charcoal fire usually) on a long, flat steel skewer with a pointed end.
grapejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,977
I asked a Turkish friend - who said that some places use a small meat press - bit like a machine to make ravioli.... has ridges and a small handle that you pull down to allow the top to sit 'into' the meat mix - a small kind of ridge lidded grill like the one advertised by the large ex-boxer (can't think of his name!)

He also said that the flat bladed skewers should be dipped in water before the meat is threaded onto them.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flat cookies tiggerbengal Cookies 11 01-01-2004 04:41 PM
Flat cookies? Filus59602 Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy 2 12-16-2002 10:20 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.