Flat Skewer Technique - Kofte/Kofta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grapejuice

Assistant Cook
Don't think this really falls into the 'Beef' or 'Ethnic' Category as it's more about a technique then a food itself. If I've posted in the wrong section I apologise.

Here we go:

Could anyone enlighten me about the proper technique for 'mounting' kofte/kofta (mince mixed with onions and spices and so forth) onto FLAT skewers such as they are done in turkish/middle-eastern resturants/kebab houses?

It seems to be done in a uniform way in every kebab house I've ever seen in London (and there are plenty) and also in Istanbul (where they are many more);

The mince mix is formed onto or skewered onto the long, flat steel skewers in a nearly rectangluar shape with ridges on one 'side'

The end result is not just asthetically pleasing but prevents the meat from slipping off the skewers when cooked over a grateless grill, so I'd really love to know how this is done.

Anyone offer any help? Greatly appreciated! :?:

not quite what I was after, but in the same neighbourhood, thanks!

the type of skewers and kebabs i'm enquiring about are the 'other' kind of kebab found in restuarants that feature the doner rotating spits.

kofte and kofta are cooked over a grill-less heat source (charcoal fire usually) on a long, flat steel skewer with a pointed end.

I asked a Turkish friend - who said that some places use a small meat press - bit like a machine to make ravioli.... has ridges and a small handle that you pull down to allow the top to sit 'into' the meat mix - a small kind of ridge lidded grill like the one advertised by the large ex-boxer (can't think of his name!)

He also said that the flat bladed skewers should be dipped in water before the meat is threaded onto them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom