Fleur De Sel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I went to Penzys over the weekend and treated myself to a container of Fleur De Sel. I have never used this before and have been dying to try it for quite a while. I am thinking of sprinkling a little on a steak (after cooking of course). Do you think this is a good use or will the subtle flavor of the salt be lost using it this way? What type of things have you used this salt on?

Oh, Penzey's! I've been buying all my spices from them for years. There are no stores real near here - when I get to one, I have a big list & usually drop $100 plus! I keep a lot of my spices in the freezer & refill my jars when they get low. Penzey's is so much better - and cheaper - than supermarket stuff.
I believe that the Fleur De Sel is known as a "finishing salt" so it would be perfect for cooked steak - or anything else that is ready to eat. Not the best salt to use during the cooking process - probably because of the cost, for one thing.

Corinne

Welcome to the site Corrine!

Yes Penzys is a wonderful place. I have dropped quite a bit of $$$ there, but it has always been well worth it. They just opened a store near me (about an hour away, but close to my in laws) so I have made a few trips there.

Yes Fleur De Sel is a finishing salt, but I don't think you would want to use it on just anything. The flavor is very delicate and subtle and could get lost in a lot of things. For instance, I do not think I would sprinkle it on the chili I just made as there are too many other flavors that the salt would have to compete with. It is a very expensive salt so I would want to make sure to only use it when it will make a noticeable difference. Have you tried it before? What have been your experiences with it?

GB:

The Penzey's store is a great spot, isn't it! You could go crazy and drop a bundle in a heartbeat! Much more dangerous than the website.

Let us know how the Fleur de Sel tastes.

Yeah it really is a great spot Andy. The people who work there are so nice too. You can tell they love being there. I bought some Smoked Spanish Paprika this time around and when she was ringing me up she shot me this look. The look could only mean one thing, that I had just found gold. That look was right. It is one of the best things I have bought there by far. It has a wonderful smoky flavor that is just amazing.

I have tasted the salt (of course) just plain as soon as I got it into the car. I noticed it in the aftertaste. It has a very faint flowery taste. You can really notice it when you smell it. To be honest, I am not sure if I would notice the taste if I did not know to look for it, but then again I have not tried it on food as it was intended. I will make sure to report back one I have :)

GB - I mostly use this salt as a finishing salt and on/in things where kosher is just too big. I bet it would be great on a steak!

I bought the Spamish smoked paprika, too. I've used it a couple of times and keep looking for excuses to use it again.

GB said:
I bought some Smoked Spanish Paprika this time around and when she was ringing me up she shot me this look. The look could only mean one thing, that I had just found gold.

oh, oh, oh - I was just going to see if they had smoked paprika - it is absolutely WONDERFUL and the "secret" ingredient in my chicken rub. Isn't the flavor/aroma wonderful? I will get to their site tomorrow and order some things - smoked paprika being one of them. Thanks for posting this - everyone needs to know about it!

One of life's great pleasures needs only three ingredients:
  • Fresh Vine Ripened Tomatoes (Heirloom if you got 'em)
  • Great Quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Fleur de Sel
GB, for your steak, cut it into 1/4 - 1/2" slices and then sprinkle the fleur de sel over it so that the salt can flavor more of the meat.

Great advice! Thanks Iron Chef. I can't believe I didn't think of tomatoes and olive oil with the salt. I do that all the time as it is one of my favorite snacks. This salt will make it that much better. Brilliant idea!

I was about to suggest the same thing that ironchef just did (great minds!) but the with addition of some fresh mozzarella and fresh basil from your garden.

I love using different salts...and any fine food you are preparing will benefit from the fine ingredients you are using. FLeur de sel is awesome and I agree, slice before seasoning so the salt has full benefit.

Have you ever tried smoked salts?

GB

I am so jealous. But jealous because I was lazy on Saturday and didn;t get to Penzey's like I had planned. I wish they were open at night or on weekends:(

I am a real stickler about seasoning meat before I cook it (Shirley C.; "What Einstein Told His Cook;" Alton Brown, etc.). Salting meat after you cook it doesn't properly season. So I probably would not use it that way. Although I might be persuaded to season first lightly and then finigh lightly.

My favorite way to use finishing salt is on salad.

And, as ironchef suggests, on garden tomatoes.

I agree with Ironchef GB..I love my Fleur de Sal and guard it with my life:LOL: I do not cook with it but use it just before serving..

kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom