Food Colouring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aussie Perry

Assistant Cook
G'day,
For the past two years I have been preparing Morning Tea after Sunday Mass.
I make small cakes, slices, finger food & sandwiches. I have been asked if I would make Birthday Cakes for somebodies Birthday. I really enjoy decorating the cakes and I know for a fact that the Parishioners enjoy them. I have been watching the Cake Decorating on You Tube. I only have the small bottles of liquid Food Colouring that you can purchase at Woolworth's. On the videos I notice that the cooks use food colouring from tubes. Please could somebody tell me which is the best food colouring to use for Butter Cream & Icing. I always make my own.
Thank you
Cheers Perry

I prefer gel colouring, because it doesnt thin the buttercream. I tend to mix a little gel colouring with milk and then add to the butter cream. A little goes a long way and it brighter.

But the liquid kind works too, just not as vibrant and can thin the icing or butter cream.

G'day Cakepoet,
Thank you for your reply. I live in a small town and we do not have Catering Supplies in town. I went to ebay and found that the Food Jell is made in the U S. I will have to by a set of colours. They are expensive compared to the liquid from Woolworth's. As you stated a little goes along way. That will outlast me! I can leave them in my Will to my children. What so they will have to cook instead of buying Take Away!!!!
Cheers Perry;);)

Last edited:
G'day,
For the past two years I have been preparing Morning Tea after Sunday Mass.
I make small cakes, slices, finger food & sandwiches. I have been asked if I would make Birthday Cakes for somebodies Birthday. I really enjoy decorating the cakes and I know for a fact that the Parishioners enjoy them. I have been watching the Cake Decorating on You Tube. I only have the small bottles of liquid Food Colouring that you can purchase at Woolworth's. On the videos I notice that the cooks use food colouring from tubes. Please could somebody tell me which is the best food colouring to use for Butter Cream & Icing. I always make my own.
Thank you
Cheers Perry
You wouldn't be Tracey Perry, would you? (Yes, I expect there are dozens of you in Oz) Welcome to DC

You have Woolworths? They closed all their stores in the UK a while back.

Last edited:
Bejesus cake Poet you are certainly on the ball. I have to go to Hervey Bay tomorrow, there is a large Woolworth's store there. I will see if they stock it or I will ask to order it for me. Thank you for your help. While I have you there I would like to ask another question if I may. I want to make some Spritz Biscuits on You Tube there is a girl making what I would like to make. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZx2gWH0qn8
She is using White Candy Icing. Please could you tell me what that is please. If I cannot purchase that here, could I use Royal Icing?
Cheers Perry

Mad Cook, I have few australian friends, they are Tracy, Michelle, John and Melissa... all 13 of them

G'day Mad Cook,
Sorry I am not Tracy. My name is Malcolm Perrement. I have always been called Perry as a Nick Name.
So there are no Woolworth's in the UK. So what happened?
Cheers Perry

G'day Mad Cook,
Sorry I am not Tracy. My name is Malcolm Perrement. I have always been called Perry as a Nick Name.
Cheers Perry
Finance mainly. Too much competition and loosing money so they closed the stores. The Pound (£1) stores finished "Woolies" off.

They are now tied in with a mail order company called "Very" - everything from frocks to lawn mowers or so I' told.

G'day Mad Cook,
Cheers Perry
Finance mainly. Too much competition and loosing money so they closed the stores. The Pound (£1) stores finished "Woolies" off.

They are now tied in with a mail order company called "Very" - everything from frocks to lawn mowers or so I'm told.

G'day Mad Cook,
Thank you for your reply. I looked at that ' VERY STORE ' You are correct, they sell just about everything. Woolworths are still in Australia.
Cheers Perry

I prefer gel colouring, because it doesnt thin the buttercream. I tend to mix a little gel colouring with milk and then add to the butter cream. A little goes a long way and it brighter.

But the liquid kind works too, just not as vibrant and can thin the icing or butter cream.

me too :chef:

Back
Top Bottom