Food I HATED as a kid, like/love it today...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very young PF, ended up at her friends home for the weekend. Young PF always ate everything on her plate, without making faces or complaining, especially in front of other people. She was presented with brains and eggs...she ate the horrid things, all of them and never said a word.

My Dad worked with my friend's dad and he was telling the friend's Dad about me not liking the brains...friend's Dad told my Dad I was a perfect Lady and never even gave them the idea that I did not like them.

A very young PF, ended up at her friends home for the weekend. Young PF always ate everything on her plate, without making faces or complaining, especially in front of other people. She was presented with brains and eggs...she ate the horrid things, all of them and never said a word.

My Dad worked with my friend's dad and he was telling the friend's Dad about me not liking the brains...friend's Dad told my Dad I was a perfect Lady and never even gave them the idea that I did not like them.

My mother would have wanted me to do the same....and I'd like to think that I would have....but....it may be likely that you were brought up better than me. :) Seriously though, I would have done nothing to offend...but if there was a dog under the table, well...my sleight of hand with food was legendary. There is a reason that I was a skinny kid. ;)

My mother would have wanted me to do the same....and I'd like to think that I would have....but....it may be likely that you were brought up better than me. :) Seriously though, I would have done nothing to offend...but if there was a dog under the table, well...my sleight of hand with food was legendary. There is a reason that I was a skinny kid. ;)

LOL! I didn't grow up with a dog under the table, it never would have occurred to me...:LOL: It wasn't that I was such a good kid...I was just too shy and timid as a littl'un in front of other adults. I home I had no problem.:ROFLMAO:

Tomatoes. Still not my favorite as a single item but I love them in so many dishes.

Meatloaf. I make it now and my kids love it. Not sure what my problem was?

Pizza. Took until my teen years to like that.

Eggplant and beets. Eggplant parm is now one of my favorite foods and I love fresh beets in salads. Still can't eat the pickled canned stuff though. Also, pork chops. I've realized that I just didn't like the way my mom made them. The other stuff, blue cheese, raw onions and olives, I still haven't developed a taste for. For the most part, I would eat most anything as a kid as well as now.

I'm glad no one tried to serve me anything like that because I would have done the same as you.

Once at a Christmas party the hostess gave my sister and me a piece of pecan pie (one of my favorites) along with a glass of ginger ale! They absolutely do not go together, and 13-year-old girls don't usually care much for ginger ale anyway, but I was very polite and didn't say anything. :LOL:

As a mom I learned to take advantage of the situation though. Nancy was a kind of picky eater growing up. She ate what she was served, but she sometimes balked at trying new foods. She learned to eat new foods without a fuss by eating at her friends' houses. Sometimes she discovered new foods that she loved, and sometimes it made her appreciate our home cooking a little more. :mrgreen:

when i was a kid, bone marrow grossed me out - those disgusting fat globules floating in a stock pot of otherwise perfectly good soup. today you can find me searching deep within every soup bone and fishing out those now savored bits of marrow out of the soup pot. am i the only one who does that?

I ate morrow as a kid. I would eat it from the small round bone in the Swiss steaks my mother made. And once in a blue moon I will roast some morrow bones and serve on toasted french bread with a shallot, capers, parsley mixture, but it is hard to find good morrow bones around here anymore.

I ate morrow as a kid. I would eat it from the small round bone in the Swiss steaks my mother made. And once in a blue moon I will roast some morrow bones and serve on toasted french bread with a shallot, capers, parsley mixture, but it is hard to find good morrow bones around here anymore.

your description of the marrow dressed up with the shallots, capers and parsley just drives me wild. i will be having some real soon....:)

your description of the marrow dressed up with the shallots, capers and parsley just drives me wild. i will be having some real soon....:)

In that case, don't forget the kosher salt, EVOO and lemon juice :)

I feel like making some myself now.

Calves/beef liver, brussels sprouts, broccoli raab/rapini, cooked spinach - in fact, all cooked greens. Except for the calves/beef liver, I now LOVE the rest of them!

Yellow mustard (I won't mention the brand). I still hate it. Frozen bananas dipped in chocolate on a stick...the thought of that today turns my stomach, but used to eat those at the county fair every year.

Ditto on the Brussel sprouts and spinach BreezyCooking. Didn't much like them when I was a kid. Also; lamb, chick peas, blackberries & mango (too fibrous). Thankfully that's changed.

Unfortunately, there are also things that went the other way. As a kid I didn't have a problem with; boiled carrots, boiled cabbage, fish fingers or anchovies. Now I wouldn't touch 'em with a barge pole! :D

There were very few things that I wouldn't eat as a child. I liked most of the things that other kids hated. For example, in the school cafeteria "Spinach Day" was always a joy as most of my friends were more than happy to unload theirs onto my plate. I ate spinach back then with wild abandon. I also liked most funky cheeses (with the exception of Blue).

A few things I didn't care for were nuts, winter squash and sweet potatoes (my mom always slathered them in marshmallows or brown sugar - blecch!), and - with the exception of liver - any sort of offal or organ meat.

I'm still not big on organ meat, but have learned to love everything else.

Peas. I still can't stand them if they've been frozen unless they are leftovers from canned. I admit they are pretty, but the texture is too mealy for me.

I never had chick peas as a youngster, but they have the same unpleasant (to me) texture.

maybe the peas are overcooked. i eat lots of frozen ones. i thaw and zap for about 30 seconds, then add chopped onion and mayo. makes a nice little salad. really don't like cooked ones and maybe that is the problem. i do same with lima beans. don't care so much about them cooked. i like the crunch of both done that way. :chef:

babetoo said:
maybe the peas are overcooked. i eat lots of frozen ones. i thaw and zap for about 30 seconds, then add chopped onion and mayo. makes a nice little salad. really don't like cooked ones and maybe that is the problem. i do same with lima beans. don't care so much about them cooked. i like the crunch of both done that way. :chef:

I agree, Babe. Also, I only get the baby (petite) frozen peas, the regular ones are mealy for me too. Run them under hot water in a colander for a few seconds and throw them in my salads. Yum.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom