Foods or meals you don't find in restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
:chef: Here might be an interesting topic.

One day I was making a much requested passed down family recipe for "City Chicken". While making it I realized something....... You can't get this meal in any grocery store (anymore), and aside from a couple polish restaurants in Hamtramick, Michigan this ever so requested comfort food meal isnt availble in any restaurant. (I'm hundreds of miles from Hamtramick, MI)

Does anyone else know of any other "meals" OR "foods" that fall in this same category OR have become extinct like City Chicken ????

I'm sure just about any kind of casserole you might make at home is not going to be easily found in a restaurant.

Are you originally from Hamtrammick? When I was a girl, we lived in Michigan (parents immigrated to US in '66), and my dad loved the place......

So, now you have to give the recipe for your City Chicken!!!

tg, the chickens in issaquah drag race up and down side streets on friday nights, making noise, blasting "freebird" on the radio, tossing bottles out windows. it such a sad thing to see. what is poultry coming to these days...

btw, a small russian restaurant across the street from my job occasionally has chicken kiev.

tg, the chickens in issaquah drag race up and down side streets on friday nights, making noise, blasting "freebird" on the radio, tossing bottles out windows. it such a sad thing to see. what is poultry coming to these days

I know Bucky. Isn't it sad ?? lmao

buckytom said:
tg, the chickens in issaquah drag race up and down side streets on friday nights, making noise, blasting "freebird" on the radio, tossing bottles out windows. it such a sad thing to see. what is poultry coming to these days...

Don't be too quick to judge, they're just looking for their nuggets.

Here in Italy certainly you wouldn't see any...

Pizza with pineapple and canadian bacon
Pizza with doner kebobs or bbq chicken
Fettuccini Alfredo
Manicotti
Chicken Parmigiano
Spaghetti Meatballs... among other things...:ROFLMAO:

vanwingen said:
:chef: Here might be an interesting topic.

One day I was making a much requested passed down family recipe for "City Chicken". While making it I realized something....... You can't get this meal in any grocery store (anymore), and aside from a couple polish restaurants in Hamtramick, Michigan this ever so requested comfort food meal isnt availble in any restaurant. (I'm hundreds of miles from Hamtramick, MI)

Does anyone else know of any other "meals" OR "foods" that fall in this same category OR have become extinct like City Chicken ????

Great topic, vanwingen! Never having heard of City Chicken, I did some poking around. The results I found was it is not chicken. During the depression when chicken was too expensive, the dish was made with pork and shaped in the form of chicken drumsticks or on skewers?

There was a great Polish restaurant in the East Village in NYC I miss, growing up in the Big Apple. A restaurant that served several different stuffed pierogies, and a great breakfast menu. I miss a little restaurant chain? called Chock Full o' Nuts - cream cheese on date nut bread, a cup o coffee and a brownie. Sandwiches were very thin - almost like tea sandwiches, but bigger.

I remember? a place called Tad's Steak House ? growing up. Great steak and all the fixin's. The food at the Horn & Hardhart Automat (sp?) in NYC. Sure there are others. Will have to go back in my memory bank.

Meatloaf has made a big comeback recently. I know a number of places that now serve it. I have never had it in a restaurant though. To me if just seems like something that should be done at home.

Bravo, Erik. Meatloaf is one of the classic comfort foods, in my book.

geebs, the CB and BM versions aren't too bad, but I think you are right in that it's best made at home.

Back
Top Bottom